php compiler

natbob

I don't know if this is this is something unique or not but I found this php complier.  Right now you can only complie command line apps, but their team is working on gtk support. Complies to normal exe files, just use normal command line syntax, STDIN STDOUT.

If you know of a better compiler please post.

uh...no software needed? PHP doesn't run all by itself...you need the parser and a webserver like apache to run it... compared to what, a basic compiler for one of those? Sure, there are sdk's and gui's that make developing in them easier, but you don't *need* them. 

You've lost me a little there Crayon. Once an application is compiled into an executable you no longer need the compiler present to execute the application.

Maybe what he means is that, even though it's stand alone, it's only because the 'compiler' tacked on the whole PHP distribution?

Still, I like the idea, and think it is sad that more hasn't been done as far as getting PHP to create standalone applications.

Maybe what he means is that, even though it's stand alone, it's only because the 'compiler' tacked on the whole PHP distribution?

Yeah maybe. there is a good compiler around (my link is at home, will post later) that uses its own customised build of php. The executables are quite small from what I've seen.

I know that once something is compiled, it no longer needs the compiler. I was responding to this:

it is a little overkill but it does have some practical applications such as for simple database lookups where you don't want to install any software

I thought he was saying that unlike full languages like java/c/perl, php doesn't need any software installed at all.  Perhaps he meant as far as even after compile? I know java still needs a jvm installed to run.  I don't know if perl needs anything, but c doesn't.  Overall I would recommend to the OP that if he wants to get into stand alone applications, he should use c instead of php.  php is written in c, the syntax is pretty much the same, and c has all the power of php and more.

I thought he was saying that unlike full languages like java/c/perl, php doesn't need any software installed at all.

Once you compile a php application using one of these compilers it no longer needs any other software to run.

ps: Perl is interpreted just like php. You need perl installed to execute perl scripts. Java also isn't a compiled language, hence the need for jvm.

Both these languages however (and same goes for php) have compilers avilable that can make stand alone applications without the need for any runtime software to be installed.

I thought he was saying that unlike full languages like java/c/perl, php doesn't need any software installed at all.

Once you compile a php application using one of these compilers it no longer needs any other software to run.

Right. Like I said, I understand that.  What I mean is I thought he was saying that php didn't even need anything at all.  Like...open up a text file, write your php, save as an exe and blam, it automatically works. 

ps: Perl is interpreted just like php. You need perl installed to execute perl scripts.

You know what...I knew that.  For some reason last night and now this morning, I meant to say python but for some reason I said perl.

You know what...I knew that.  For some reason last night and now this morning, I meant to say python but for some reason I said perl.

Hehe, Python once again is the same. Most programming requirements these days can eaily be fullfilled using these very high level programming languages.

Hehe, Python once again is the same.

The same as in you need python installed to run a python script? I thought it was a full language that could compile standalone executables?

Hehe, Python once again is the same.

The same as in you need python installed to run a python script? I thought it was a full language that could compile standalone executables?

Just as with perl and php there are compilers around for Python, but yes, generally script are executed by the Python interpretor which must be installed.

http://www.roadsend.com/home/index.php?pageID=compiler

http://www.bambalam.se/bamcompile/

I can't get either of them to really work, and I think it is just me because the sample files work (bamcompile).

In the end, I found out that it is much easier to use Visual Basic to make exe files. the language is easy to understand, and there is a GUI with drag and drop features.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/

The complier that I was talking about was the roadsend complier. (See previous post by 'The Little Guy')

Just as clarification, it DOES compile to a stand alone executable which does NOT require the compiler and I don't think that it puts the whole interperator in.

I will have to check on that.  It does have mysql support natively so thats a plus, but I haven't found any way of loading any other modules yet.

It worked well for me to make a simple mysql lookup program so that you didn't have to use a web browser to get to it.

Technically you do need a compiler to execute the exe application. The compiler comes with windows, so you don't know you have it, but it is there.

No you dont. Compilers compile programs into stand alone applications. Well, they may still have some outside dependencies but the compiler itself isn't one of them.

For example you don't need visual basic to run a program programmed in vb, which by the way sux.

The complier that I was talking about was the roadsend complier.

Yeah, thats the same php compiler I was talking about. Ive never had issue with it, though I also haven't done anything serious with it.

No you dont. Compilers compile programs into stand alone applications. Well, they may still have some outside dependencies but the compiler itself isn't one of them.

For example you don't need visual basic to run a program programmed in vb, which by the way sux.

But you need a program that can read the exe file.

why does vb.net suck?

But you need a program that can read the exe file.

No. It's getting compiled into machine code which the computer can understand.

why does vb.net suck?

You mean besides the fact that it has atrocious syntax? Well, its not cross platform for starters. I don't use windows so any language worth me spending any time learning needs to run on Linux. Just so happens that most languages that do run on Linux have also had the time taken to make them cross platform. Meaning they will run on many different Os's and architects.

Well if you decided to package and distribute your application, you're going to limit yourself to other windows users.  That doesn't sound so bad, considering most people use windows, but when you consider what type of person would use your application, chances of them not using windows significantly increases..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.