Stay logged in

Yves

In my login.php there is the following piece of code... After it checks if the username is found in the members table it executes this:

<?php
$query="update members set lastlogin='".time()."' WHERE username='".mysql_real_escape_string($username)."'";
$conn->execute($query);
SESSION_REGISTER("USERID");$_SESSION[uSERID]=$result->fields['USERID'];
SESSION_REGISTER("EMAIL");$_SESSION[email]=$result->fields['email'];
SESSION_REGISTER("USERNAME");$_SESSION[uSERNAME]=$result->fields['username'];
SESSION_REGISTER("VERIFIED");$_SESSION[VERIFIED]=$result->fields['verified'];
SESSION_REGISTER("FAMILYFILTER");$_SESSION[FAMILYFILTER]=$result->fields['familyfilter'];
?>

When I'm logged in and I check my cookies I find this for my domain:

carbtube.com PHPSESSID

When I close my browser, reopen it and load carbtube.com again the PHPSESSID is gone. What I want is to be logged in forever up untill the moment I click the lougout link on the site (handled by the lougout.php). How can I do this (securely) and can you give me an example?

I read about cookies here: Set Cookie PHP. So I know how to set them, retrieve them and unset them. (I think) but I don't know how I can use them to automatically log someone in at any page of the site. If someone logs in what should I put in a cookie? Just the username? I'm just having trouble putting the pieces of the puzzle together. ???

Use cookies instead of the Session. So just set the $_COOKIE['USERID'] instead of $_SESSION['USERID'].

In an unrealted subject it is good practice to put single quotaion marks in $_SESSION, $_COOKIE etc. So, for example it would be $_SESSION['USERID'] not $_SESSION[uSERID].

I'm getting blank pages.

I replaced this in my login.php

<?php
/*
SESSION_REGISTER("USERID");$_SESSION[uSERID]=$result->fields['USERID'];
SESSION_REGISTER("EMAIL");$_SESSION[email]=$result->fields['email'];
SESSION_REGISTER("USERNAME");$_SESSION[uSERNAME]=$result->fields['username'];
SESSION_REGISTER("VERIFIED");$_SESSION[VERIFIED]=$result->fields['verified'];
SESSION_REGISTER("FAMILYFILTER");$_SESSION[FAMILYFILTER]=$result->fields['familyfilter'];
*/
function DaysToSeconds($strDays)
{
$str24Hour = time()+86400;
$strReturn = $str24Hour * $strDays;
return $strReturn;
}

$userid = $result->fields['USERID'];
$email = $result->fields['email'];
$username = $result->fields['username'];
$verified = $result->fields['verified'];
$familyfilter = $result->fields['familyfilter'];
$cookie_expire = DaysToSeconds(30); #30 Days
$cookie_domain = ".carbtube.com";

setcookie ('USERID', 		'$userid', 		'$cookie_expire', '', '$cookie_domain', 0);
setcookie ('EMAIL', 		'$email', 		'$cookie_expire', '', '$cookie_domain', 0);
setcookie ('USERNAME', 	'$username', 		'$cookie_expire', '', '$cookie_domain', 0);
setcookie ('VERIFIED', 	'$verified', 		'$cookie_expire', '', '$cookie_domain', 0);
setcookie ('FAMILYFILTER', '$familyfilter', 	'$cookie_expire', '', '$cookie_domain', 0);

?>

And I changed all $_SESSION[VARIABLE] to $_COOKIE['VARIABLE'] on all pages of the site.

I also changed all $smarty.session.VARIABLE to $smarty.cookies.VARIABLE.

All php pages also start with session_start();

So it should all just work. But sadly I'm getting blank pages on any page I try to load. And they all have no source code whatsoever. Also, when I delete all my cookies in my browser and reload the site. I still get a PHPSESSID cookie created. Don't know why that is. Any idea why I'm getting a blank pages?

Do I have to set these cookies as empty first? like so...

setcookie ('USERID','','$cookie_expire');
setcookie ('EMAIL','','$cookie_expire');
setcookie ('USERNAME','','$cookie_expire');
setcookie ('VERIFIED','','$cookie_expire');
setcookie ('FAMILYFILTER','','$cookie_expire');

...because when I load a page (as an unregistered new visitor) where there's $_COOKIE['whatever'] somewhere in the source code it just doesn't load that part of the page. It's asif it can't interpret what a cookie is and defenatly not when that cookie can't be found anywhere. What's causing this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.