include...simple error, why?

unsider

ok I have a file "extern.php" in: root/one/two/extern.php directory that I've tried calling in: root/one/index.php

with the two most basic methods:

<?php
include("../two/extern.php?action=active");
include("two/extern.php?action=active");
?>

The file exists, the action exists, and my don't worry my $_GET arrays are sanatized, but it throws this error:

include(../two/extern.php?action=active) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory.

What's frustrating about this is, it's not only one of the most basic things, this is the only include, or very many that is throwing this error.

Thanks. If you need any more information let me know. Argh.

EDIT: caught my mistake, changed up the dir names, two = forum. Sorry about that

Neither of the two include commands you listed include a file in the ../forum folder. What are the contents of the forum folder, where is it located and the file that includes forum/extern.php is it the same /root/one/two/extern.php file?

To add to that .. means to go up one directory so if root/one/index.php trys to include ../two/file.php that means root/two/  instead just use two/file.php

@NHoj, I fixed my mistake, you can take another look if you'd like.

@unkwn

I've tried using "two/extern.php", that was the most logical, and first thing I thought of, but unfortunately it still returns the error.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.