What's the point???

Why have a PHP Help Topic when someone is going to move threads to more more specific thread that is not frequented and ignored???  Those threads are PHP Help questions!

Seems a bit counter-productive!

As I quickly browse the new "organization" based categories, most are seldom read (much less answered).

This category is what made this website popular and productive.  Obviously, that is going to change.

Having one big HELP board would make searching more difficult, organisation a nightmare and keeping people on topic impossible. The thread you seem to be refering to was moved to the 'Third Party' board because it is a third party script. Simply posting it within PHP help we would assume you wrote it therefore also assume you know more about how it works. By putting it in the third party board you are likely to get the kind of help you actually need.

peranha...  Are there sub-categories of those different languages???  NO!  It's all PHP, just like all OOP goes into OPP board and Java goes into Java.  PHP should go into PHP!  Thanks for not clarifying a valid answer.

Thorpe...  That's just a crap answer.  That is just a way to avoid some noobies, like myself.  If I wrote it or if someone else wrote the code, the PHP Help question is still a PHP Help question because that third Party code is being modified.  If the code worked exactly as one wanted it, they would not need PHP Help!

I am assuming that someone is writing his thesis on this topic.  It sure is taking some time for the response.

I sure am glad I am upwind in this pissing match.  We all know what happens when one is downwind.  Or, maybe some people don't know.  Take notes!

Thorpe...  That's just a crap answer.  That is just a way to avoid some noobies, like myself.  If I wrote it or if someone else wrote the code, the PHP Help question is still a PHP Help question because that third Party code is being modified.  If the code worked exactly as one wanted it, they would not need PHP Help!

Assuming you wrote the code and understood how it worked would greatly affect any answer I would provide to a question. Placing it in the appropriate board just makes things clearer to all parties involved.

Leave it???  Well, that is exactly what will happen with all your bs moving of topics.  Not enough attention is put on those "Sub Categories".  They will all be left alone.

Sorry, but just because some boards get more attention than others is no reason to post any old question in there. This is how our forum works. Have some patience.

Seeing as how often you are on here and how knowledgable you are, I will wait patiently for how fast of an assisting response I get from you or anyone else.  I'm sure you are constantly observing all topics and "sub-topics", providing HELP to many.

Look, I'm gonna be straight with you: 

You should be asking for 3rd party script help at the forum/community from which it came.  You're more likely to get a solid answer from there.  Nobody wants to look through a bunch of code for you when you yourself don't know what's going on.  We can't ask you where xyz is coming from or why xyz is doing this or that, because you yourself don't know.  This place is a free service, so we aren't going to waste our time on that sort of thing. 

Having said that, asking for help on a 3rd party script runs dangerously close to being considered freelancing.  Therefore, moving threads like that to a 3rd party forum is doing you a favor - because otherwise we would just close your thread and tell you to hire someone. 

Overall, the 3rd party forum is a courtesy.  Maybe someone might possibly have used / is using that script, and they might help you.  I doubt it, but who knows?  Point is, it's our way of saying that we aren't going to waste our time on that, post over there and hope for the best, buck up and learn it yourself, or hire someone. 

It's nothing personal, but you apparently don't seem to understand how free services work, because you seem to keep breaking the rules trying to get "your way."

Up to a point I agree with kempa.....and crayon, you seem to move threads more than others. Perhaps there is a moderators competition for moving threads? For instance, I saw a couple of days back where someone was having trouble with their query on their php page. That topic got moved to MSQL forum. The question was valid, and on topic for the php forum, because by far the largest number of topics here relate to queries written in php trying to get results from their Mysql db to help their php application work!!!

I know that some threads have to be moved because they are better suited to other forums, but come on, if the question obviously relates to php, leave it alone. More people than just the original poster are looking for the answer.

Having said that, I enjoy this forum and I have received much help from many people and I am always sure to thank all those who respond. Please be a little more lenient when moving threads, try to see the bigger picture.

I saw a couple of days back where someone was having trouble with their query on their php page. That topic got moved to MSQL forum. The question was valid, and on topic for the php forum, because by far the largest number of topics here relate to queries written in php trying to get results from their Mysql db to help their php application work!!!

Right.  We understand it's all "php related." But the point is to further divide it into more specific categories.  The problem was not with the code itself, but with the query string, therefore it got moved to the sql forum.  It's like going to the produce section of the grocery store.  You don't see all the fruits jumbled up together in one giant pile, just because they are all fruits.  You see them separated into individual bins. Apples with apples, oranges with oranges, etc..

For instance, I saw a couple of days back where someone was having trouble with their query on their php page. That topic got moved to MSQL forum. The question was valid, and on topic for the php forum, because by far the largest number of topics here relate to queries written in php trying to get results from their Mysql db to help their php application work!!!

If the problem was with the query and not there php implimentation then it is perfectly valid for it to be moved to the MySql help board. Query issues are not php related.

Please be a little more lenient when moving threads, try to see the bigger picture.

As far as I'm concerned we are. I err on the side of caution wherever possible and as it becomes clear what the actual issue is I may move the thread.

We need to maintain order arround here, trust me, it makes the place more usable and therefor more enjoyable for everyone.

You don't see all the fruits jumbled up together in one giant pile, just because they are all fruits.  You see them separated into individual bins. Apples with apples, oranges with oranges, etc..

Quite so, but the bins of fruit are all in the fruit store, not the butchers shop! ;-)

You don't see all the fruits jumbled up together in one giant pile, just because they are all fruits.  You see them separated into individual bins. Apples with apples, oranges with oranges, etc..

Quite so, but the bins of fruit are all in the fruit store, not the butchers shop! ;-)

Hence, most all your programming needs are covered somewhere within the phpfreaks forums.

Okay, have it your way then.

I'll be absolutely clear and specific then next time I find myself needing help with a query. I will make sure to qualify my question by stating that the query is part of a php script. Hopefully that will suffice?

Okay, have it your way then.

I'll be absolutely clear and specific then next time I find myself needing help with a query. I will make sure to qualify my question by stating that the query is part of a php script. Hopefully that will suffice?

If the problem really is that of your query and not simply how you call mysql_query() to execute it, then If I where to see it, it would be moved.

I really don't understand what your beef here is, except that to be honest, I think your real issue is that it's not in the more "popular" forum.

I know you don't understand....it's obvious. FWIW....it's got nothing to do with 'popular' at all. It's got everything to do with being flexible and seeing a bigger picture than just trying to pigeon hole something just because you can.

I have tried to explain that if the post is very obviously off topic, such as a JavaScript question in the PHP forum, then the topic should be moved to the JS forum. A question about table joins, whilst *strictly speaking*  is a Mysql question, 99 times out of 100 it relates to a php script being used in a php application. Therefore, you should leave it in the php forum for not only the op to read, but also many others who may like to learn how to make joined queries for their php applications.

When I get my Ford serviced at the local garage, I don't expect it to be shifted to the Ford dealer just because it's a Ford. It's a car, first and foremost

99 times out of 100 it relates to a php script being used in a php application. Therefore, you should leave it in the php forum for not only the op to read, but also many others who may like to learn how to make joined queries for their php applications.

Then what about all the Javascript in your php applications, the apache webserver they run on, the Linux OS the webserver runs on? Can we cram all this in php help because it relates? Its all related. Keeping our data / content is benificial to everyone.