What's the point???

Then what about all the Javascript in your php applications, the apache webserver they run on, the Linux OS the webserver runs on? Can we cram all this in php help because it relates? Its all related. Keeping our data / content is benificial to everyone.

Come on......now your being extreme. Php and Mysql go together much of time and you know it.  The times when they are obviously related, leave them alone.

I've had enough, yes there is a fine line between what is a php problem and what is a mysql problem at times. On those occassions I think you'll find our mods err on the side of caution, for the rest though, if its obvious there is no php errors and its simply a quey issue, these threads will be moved.

Then what about all the Javascript in your php applications, the apache webserver they run on, the Linux OS the webserver runs on? Can we cram all this in php help because it relates? Its all related. Keeping our data / content is benificial to everyone.

Come on......now your being extreme. Php and Mysql go together much of time and you know it.  The times when they are obviously related, leave them alone.

This is the last we will say on the subject.

If the problem is in the PHP code, either in semantics or syntax, we will leave it in the most appropriate PHP section. If the problem is in the SQL query, regardless of the language used to send the signal to the MySQL server to execute the query, then it will be moved to the MySQL board. If there is a logical argument that the problem at hand is possibly related to PHP, then the moderator will have seen it, and he will have accounted for it. Contrary to popular belief, we are actually intelligent people with many years of experience in analyzing code, identifying problems, and eliminating non-issues.

I look at it this way: If I could re-implement the PHP code you've written, but in perl, and still get the same problem, then it is not a PHP problem. If it is not a PHP problem, it does not belong in the PHP section.

When I get my Ford serviced at the local garage, I don't expect it to be shifted to the Ford dealer just because it's a Ford. It's a car, first and foremost

I kinda get you here, but still.

As much as categorization is getting obsolete, if we didn't categorize then ....

One: questions definitely wouldn't get answered as fast.  Questions get answered quickly because 9 times out of 10...2 or 3 very astute people will stick to only one forum and answer and answer to their hearts content...mostly because every question that comes up is in their field, probably because we moderators throw it in their direction.  It's a system and it works.

and Two: How else would people learn their vocabulary.  Imagine if you never knew your car was a Ford.  You just saw it as a car for the rest of your entire life and the only thought the crossed your mind when it was .."broke" was to bring it to the fixin place.  Whenever you find out your cherished material possessions is somewhere else, your natural sense is to find out where who when why...what.  At that point, it dawns on you that your car is a Ford.  There's no telling what other interesting things there are to learn about your "car".

I know it kind of sucks for you that I keep on discussing in a locked topic and you cannot give a response, but I just thought I would add this:

Posting in a high traffic forum might actually decrease your chance of getting a proper response. That the forum is high traffic will mean that your topic will quickly move past the first page where I believe most people aren't looking very often. Furthermore, people who specialize in a specific topic will browse forums directly related to that thing more frequently than the more general forums. Therefore, if your question is indeed about MySQL then you would benefit from posting in the MySQL forum where the MySQL experts are. Moving your topic to the correct forum is doing you a favor because we are moving it to a place where you have a higher chance of getting a proper response. What do I mean with proper? Well, you might get a working answer in the wrong forum, but if you post in the right forum then the people who are more knowledgeable in that topic will read it and perhaps get you a better solution. There are many ways to do things, but some are better than others and some outright suck.

Nevertheless, that I posted in this locked topic is not an invite to further discussion of the subject. A decision has been made by a staff member and therefore it will be like that. This is not a democracy.

Finally I would like to point out the following part from the forum rules:

If you disagree with a decision taken by a moderator' date=' please try to solve the problem privately with the moderator first. If you cannot reach a satisfactory solution then you can contact an administrator. In that case, the decision taken by the administrator is final and is not to be discussed further.[/quote']

This means that this entire topic is in fact a breach of the rules (which everybody has read before even bothering to post of course).