Don't know where else to turn

monkeytooth

Well this has to be the best forum I have ever used by far.. no matter what the question no matter what the case I 99.99999% of the time get a responce, not to mention its one of the only boards I really respond to others on its great.. anyway..

I really really doubt this is doable with php none the less.. But what the heck might as well ask, if it isnt im sure someone here knows what I can possibly do...

I have 9 Images.. all the same width height size etc.. only one thing diffrent per image. What I want to do is create a image swap function of sorts

One image is the base.. with 8 hotspots.. of those 8 hotspots I want to swap the image out for its counterpart that has the small diffrence in it while hovering over it. But while hovering over it I want to be able to display a tooltip like box with a brief description of that area, when clicked. I want that swaped out image to remain on mouse out (but only if clicked) I want a few other functions based on the click but over all.. that can be done outside the image concept..

any help be greatlu appreciated.. even if its just a point in the general direction..

No, In essence Im thinking in the back of my head an oldschool image map with a bit more functionaility to it. I kinda figured I would hit a big NO when it came to the php aspect but was nice to find out that theres not to much in possibility with it..

Its an image with 8 hotspots.. each hotspot I want to add a rollover image for it on hovering over it.. with the addition to being able to click on it and pending the click run scripts with it mostly php based.. but over all in the end an imagemap.. was just shooting fish in a barrel in hopes that I could find a magical way to work it out with php and maybe a dash of java.. overall I am trying to avoid java as alot of my users are on older PC's with incompatiablity issues or default security messures which block java. Its stupid I know but its something I gotta deal with. Still very open to any ideas that may help though..

First of all, it's NOT Java.  Java and Javascript are two completely different technologies.  Secondly, PHP can't do much at all on the client side.  You're going to need a ton of Javascript basically.  That's all it comes down to.  Either use Javascript and tell your users to just click the button that turns it on or live with what you can do with only HTML (not much these days).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.