Credit Card Processing???

N1CK3RS0N

Heya,

So I was wondering... Is it possible to code a system to process a credit card on the website itself without using a third party gateway such as PayPal? I have no clue how credit card processing even works. You see a lot of big name stores online have automatic credit card processing built into their website. Anyone know anything about this? Or could you point me in the right direction?

Woo-hoo! First post. :)

Well I've never done it myself, I just use PayPal integration. I'm sure there are pre-made scripts out there, that would most likely require purchasing.

I know that you will need SSL or TSL (which is newer I think). They allow for secure data transfer.

Actually....

They are called payment gateways for a reason. I dunno for sure, but I doubt that your bank's payment processor will just let you have access to their system. I'm sure part of the "deal" is stringent security auditing of the payment gateway providers.

Those big ecommerce sites more than likely used a payment gateway provider (there are more than just PayPal.)

I'm sure for the most part it is simple. A few forms that take payment details securely and return a result when checked. The problem is the checking part in the middle. This will not be something you or php can do since you don't have access to everyones card numbers and addresses etc... I assume all the banks pay a large amount of money to be granted access (probably strict controlled access) to that information.

You don't have to use paypal, you can use your bank. Paypal just makes the programming side easier where the bank will probably not have any help or developer forums when it comes to writing a payment processor. Also, the banks are usually more expensive to use than the likes of paypal.

For websites/retailers to process credit cards they have to have a merchant account or use a gateway like paypal.  I have worked with authorize.net, a merchant provider, you sign up with them send them the credit card info and they take the money from the customers bank and put it in your.  Otherwise you would have to pay lots (read b/millions) to all the separate credit card companies to allow you to access their database, and I'm fairly positive they wont let you do that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.