Software website - critque needed

smctainsh

Hi All,

I've been working on a program called Time Sheet, which records the time you've spent on work so that you can create invoices for your clients. It also features a To-Do list for you to record tasks you need to complete.

I would appreciate any feedback that you may have on the website I've created for it. Any feedback, good or bad, is welcome. I'd also appreciate any suggestions as to how I can improve the design if there is something you don't like about it.

The website is available here.

Thanks,

Smctainsh

Awesome, I'll try it out now.

One recommendation. On the download box, perhaps place the file size. It's reassurance for the user to see the size of the file before downloading.

Very nice program indeed. It's got a nice feel to it, although a bit confusing to get used to. Maybe include a startup page with help and tips.

Another thing. I was just mucking around in it, and I did a job then added some time. Then I went to export the invoice as a HTML document. It all looked good apart from this:

Add Tax (at %taxRate%%)  	$%tax%

Some parsing error maybe? Or is it supposed to be like that? I know in the free version you can't apply tax so maybe that's the problem.

Other then that, very nice indeed.

ProjectFear: Thanks again for the awesome feedback. :) I've changed the website so that the file size of the Time Sheet Free Version installer is stated.

I really like the startup tips and help idea. I've added it to my To-Do list and will look into it. ;)

Yup, the reason it doesn't convert that particular variable is because it isn't supported in the free version. :D

Smctainsh

Great looking web site! Does a good job of selling your product as well, got me interestd!

One thing I'd say is I'm not keen on the look of the links on the left hand side, just my opinion but don't think it looks as professional as the rest of the site, maybe use button graphics for them instead.

Also maybe a little bit more colour in there wouldn't go a miss, the green is used really well, but for instance the buy now could be brighter to draw the eye to it maybe.

Damn my work for using IE 6! I'm going to try to download firefox. I want to see the drop down animation when I click on links. Right now it drops down but on the extreme left and half of it is cut off. Looks good. Does what it should and has me interested as well, even though I wouldn't be using it for a while yet.

IE6... DIE! :P Sorry but I really don't like it...

That brings something to attention. I would suggest designing your web pages to be able to be viewed in all browsers, especially IE6 + 7 because they are the most popular browsers (unfortunately). Until we breed them out you should be designing your pages to be displayed correctly in all major browsers.

I look forward to seeing more from this program, I may look into buying it when I am in more of a need for it.

It looks great! (managed to find a mirror that wasn't blocked to get FF).

I actually have no complaints except maybe the links on the left like was already brought up.

The popover box looks great. I may download this at home sometime to give it a try.

And I agree that IE6 should die. I'm afraid that I see all too many people using it still and I don't see them changing. Hell, I work tech support and still see the odd 98/ME stragglers roll into my queue. Perhaps IE8 will help (I hear its w3 compliant but I also hear it sucks so who knows).

Luckily FF is spreading like crazy so hopefully that trend keeps up.

Thanks to everyone for the awesome feedback. :D

geenee -Thanks for the kind words and comments on the website. I will definitely look into changing the style of the navigation buttons on the left. :) Also, I agree with your point about the buy now button.

hopelessX - Thanks for the kind words and feedback in both of your posts. I usually always check cross-browser compatibility, but I forgot to test IE6 as I'm in Vista and don't have it installed. I've set up a virtual machine and am definitely looking into it! :)

ProjectFear - Thanks for the feedback and kind words. As mentioned above, I will most certainly look into testing for IE6 - I've tested several sites with it when completing client work and it isn't exactly fun :P so it will be nice when everyone makes the move to more standards-compliant browsers.

I'll keep working on it and adding to it - both the website and the program - and keep you guys posted. I'm working on getting the knowledge base and support system set up for it at the moment. :)

Smctainsh

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.