php throws up error message when I access localhost with internet not connected

Hi there,

I can't always get my laptop connected to the internet and I installed LAMP on it (using Ubuntu Hardy) in order to work on a web site that I was previously working on using WAMP.

I got the whole thing working perfectly (so far) except for one thing (that was never a problem on Windows) - with the internet not connected, any attempt to access my web site on localhost shows this error:

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/home/john/public_html/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in Unknown on line

When the laptop is connected to the internet, the web site is displayed correctly. I just want to be able to work on my web site offline.

public_html is my localhost folder.

Can anybody help me with this? Thanks a lot.

Hi there,

Cheers for the response.

I tried it out and now instead of getting the php error stated above, Firefox gives me the generic Offline Mode screen that I would get with any other web page. I seem to have gone back a step...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.