Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid

chiefrokka

I have someone installing my script on their server and their getting the error: 

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/blahblahblah/public_html/pickem/config.php on line 11

my config.php is

<?php

//make changes accordingly to your database
$hostname = "hostname";
$database = "database name";
$username = "username";
$password = "password";
// only change the above information to reflect the database you created on your hosting site

$db = mysql_connect($hostname, $username, $password); 
$db_select = mysql_select_db($database, $db) or mysql_error();
?>

I had someone else have this same problem but I realized they were using mysql 4.1 and I'm using 5.0 on GoDaddy.  This latest server config that's giving same issues seems to be fine though? 

Apache version 2.2.8 (Unix)

PHP version 5.2.6

MySQL version 5.0.51a-community

Architecture i686

Operating system Linux

My GoDaddy is using php 4.1 and mysql 5.0 and the scripts work great as well as it does on other servers except this guys. 

any suggestions? 

he got error:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'ccteamoh_wrqk'@'alexandria26.2mhost.com' (using password: YES) in /home/ccteamoh/public_html/pickem/config.php on line 10

Access denied for user 'ccteamoh_wrqk'@'alexandria26.2mhost.com' (using password: YES)

weird.  I checked and everything seems correct.  I had him make another db and user and still same error. 

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'ccteamoh_wrqk2'@'alexandria26.2mhost.com' (using password: YES) in /home/ccteamoh/public_html/pickem/config.php on line 10

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/ccteamoh/public_html/pickem/config.php on line 11

Sounds like communcation from the webhost may have a problem to the DB.  Same webhost for the php as the mysql?  Do they have restrictions?  I know Godaddy won't let you use mysql with their windows servers, only their Unix/Linux ones.  Maybe their host has a similiar restriction.

Don't use the IP of the mysql host either, many times they give you a special servername to use for the mysql servers.

ya, I checked and it's linux as I had that problem with GoDaddy's Windows before.  I'm using the hostname not the ip as well.  I just deleted the db myself and usernames and redid everything but still getting error. 

if it's not my syntax I have no clue as I've confirmed everything is right.  oh well.  thanks anyways guys

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.