Tables in html

ngreenwood6

I am trying to create just a plain main page. I am having some problems though. I am having a problem where the page does not start at the top of the screen (about a 1 inch gap from the top to the start of my page). Another issue that I am having is where the side bar comes in it is about 1/4 of an inch off from the left side.  The last issue that I have noticed so far is that the the right bar is about 6 inches off from the right side. I am new to html so please take it easy on me. Any help is appreciated.

<table width=100% border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr>
<td height="52" style="background:#990000">This is Great</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td height="39" style="background:#FF3399">Buttons Would Go Here</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>
<table>
<td width="123" style="background:#0000FF">This is the sidebar!
<br />
<br />
This is where the links would be!
<br />
<br />
</td>
<td width="749"><center>
  <p>The main content for your site would go here!</p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
  <p> </p>
</center></td>
<td width="94" style="background:#FFFF00; color:#FFFFFF; margin-right:0px;">The additional info for your site would go here!</td>
</table>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td style="background:#000000; color:#FFFFFF;"><center>This would be the footer!</center></td>
</tr>

</table>

Thanks

Either the body has top padding set to it, or the table has a top margin set to it. Probably the first one. These are browser defaults.

Google 'beginners CSS tutorials'. Learning some CSS is imperative, as table based design is already outdated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.