1 million insert queries

scarhand

Just make sure you don't get max execution time errors.  Besides that, you should be prepared for it to potentially take a while.

If it's MySQL, I would insert mutliple values at a time (I would probably do blocks of 250, maybe more or less depending on the server).

Ex:

INSERT INTO tbl VALUES ('value1'), ('value2')

That would make 2 rows.

If you have the data already in a file, do not use INSERT but rather LOAD DATA INFILE.

The LOAD DATA INFILE statement reads rows from a text file into a table at a very high speed.

FYI: The other day, I had to do 6,000 inserts in a MySQL InnoDB table on our production server (with live users active) and it took 4 minutes.

That's still a lot of rows. You know your data best and what you're trying to do, however, you have not really shared why you think you need to do a loop?

FYI: There are some things that you can dynamically do with the load data infile (like assign variables and do calculations before data is inserted).

Good luck to you.

That's still a lot of rows. You know your data best and what you're trying to do, however, you have not really shared why you think you need to do a loop?

FYI: There are some things that you can dynamically do with the load data infile (like assign variables and do calculations before data is inserted).

Good luck to you.

im taking content from static pages and inserting it into a database so it can be edited through a cms i scripted

each static page will have its own row in the database

the current amount of static pages is unbelievable, this is why i need to for loop and dump one by one

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.