Best Browser...

proggR

...layout. Rendering abilities aside, which browser do you think looks the best? Which one feels most comfortable to you?

I think for the most part I actually like the feel of IE 6 best. Maybe just because I use it daily at work but it feels natural. And since I run my system with the classic theme it looks like its supposed to be there. The one thing I do miss is the Google search bar that FF has. I don't like the IE7 search bar. I don't know why, but FF just makes it feel good.

I guess this could be a poll but I'd leave out too many browsers.

*edit* and tabs. I don't know how I forgot about missing the tabs! Again, FF tabs, not IE7.

Do you like the feel because thats the one you used first?

I'm pretty sure that's it, because there are so many niceties in Firefox I'd cry if I had to use it. It doesn't have tabs, you can't drag images into the toolbar - you really drag anything anywhere. Not having two search bars sucks.

Its funny because I have been using Firefox since before IE6, but didn't realize how bad IE6 was until I tried to use it just now. It doesn't have spell check!

And not to get away from general usability, but as a web designer, FF is a LOT easier to debug in - firebug is beast and you can enter javascript into an already rendered page. The error console is good and the errors make sense, in ie it says "Object Expected". Why? Because a variable is an object, but so is a quote and a semicolon and a bracket and a ... :) It may as well come back with 'Please try again'.

Haha @ the please try again :P

I don't think IE 6 was the first I used since I've been using computers as long as I can remember.

I admit though, I haven't added any plugins to my FF except Greasemonkey so I could get folder-like things in Gmail. (I forget why it needed greasemonkey... who knows). No doubt when i'm designing more and more pages starting in the next few months I'll be added more to FF and will probably like it more.

I just like the look of IE better. I like the links bar. I like the back, forward, stop etc above the address bar and even the way they look. I know you can get themes for FF but the only IE 6 theme I could find was for FF2. I use FF way more at home, but I like the look of IE6 better. Functionally FF is better and I know that.

I should make an IE6 theme for FF3 :P

I know its rendering abilities are absolute crap. I like the gray :P

Does anyone use any non-IE/FF/Safari browsers? I've tried Opera when I had my Macbook but I didn't like it. It was supposed to be faster but I found it slower. And its built in Bittorrent client was bad. I also briefly had Camino but mainly stuck to Safari and FF when Safari didn't work. I've also had a few other smaller crappier ones but most of them were just stripped down versions of IE I think.

As much as I don't like having ANOTHER browser to write for, and don't like the look of it, Opera is a hard one to hate. It is like a lightweight firefox (could be because it doesn't have 8 plugins)

I use Opera a lot because, the way I made my login system, it autologs you in if you have a non-expired session in your cookies. With two browsers I can stay logged in to both a user and super user account at the same time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.