Need some critiques on two sites!

nubby

Okay I am still new to PHP and I am still trying to get better at the design part of sites. That is probably my main weakness right now.  ::)

Anyways I want two sites below strongly critiqued.

First site in the line up is very basic, but sort of fun creating. I know the site is very simple and doesn't have much content, since there really isn't much more I could add. This site sends text messages to any US/Canada phone number for free.

http://FreeUnlimitedTexts.com/

-------------------------------------

Next, this is a torrent search engine. This was a little bit harder to create, but still fun. It basically is an RSS of another more popular torrent search engine, but was hard to code.

As for this site, I know it needs a more friendly look or something to liven it up, but I am not sure what it needs.

http://TorrentSafari.com/

Sorry I do not have a more thorough write up, but I am tired and wasn't sure what else is needed. Just please give me opinions.

I am not good at design either, but I don't think the "FreeUnlimitedTexts" page background fits in too well.  The background is distracting, and it keeps drawing my attention.  For this kind of site I would stay away from the darker colors, but this is just my opinion.  The logo could be a bit more "upgraded".  For the lack of content it does have some good stuff though.

TorrentSafari.com

------------------------

Not much to say for this site because it is so simple.

I am not good at design either, but I don't think the "FreeUnlimitedTexts" page background fits in too well.  The background is distracting, and it keeps drawing my attention.  For this kind of site I would stay away from the darker colors, but this is just my opinion.  The logo could be a bit more "upgraded".  For the lack of content it does have some good stuff though.

Yeah, some people I know also commented on the background being a little 'out there'. I wasn't really sure what to do with the background. As for the Logo, I know. I didn't have photoshop at the time so I had to resort to a online banner creator (laugh). I did that just as a place holder until I made something a lot nicer.

Everyone, I know this isn't xHTML compliant and everything, but that is because I haven't went through it yet. I just wanted to get the site working and everything then I go back and fix my mistakes. This site was a project for me to test some new ideas I had with php and just learn php better since I am still a beginner.

The FreeUnlimitedTexts website needs some work as right now it's very basic. As suggested previously, the background is very disturbing, but the graphics department in general needs work. If you don't have photoshop, try gimp. The TorrentSafari looks ok.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.