Totally New, and need help.

Ririn

Hey.

I recently started trying to teach myself PHP online, I understand... nothing.

I have experience in HTML/XHTML and that's about it.

I have a pretty good PHP library, but the simple truth is:

I am a noob

I have no idea what I am doing.

I can not get passed the "Hello World!" stage

And I have no idea... what this library is supposed to do.

So if someone can point me in the write direction, or help my get some good PHP editor software; that would be great [i run Windows]. Basically I need a start.

???

Feel free to e-mail: IchigoOngaku@hotmail.com

As ProjectFear has said, having a copy of php on your local computer saves you heaps of time, saving you from uploading the same file heaps of times trying to debug a file. WampServer is one of the better ones. There's also EasyPHP, Abyss Webserver and XAMPP.

As for editor software theres Notepad++ which is handy or you could use Eclipse but I find that to be a memory hog.

Google is the best place to look for tutorials and there are heaps out there.

PersonallyI find tutorials boring, I learned PHP/MySQL/HTML from getting open source (well, stolen but widely used tbh) scripts with loads of errors and trying to fix them. I started by copying bits of code, then writing simple features to add and then scripted mym own mafia game eventually. lol It takes much longer to learn and you pick up some pretty bad practice. It is however much less boring and those bad practices can be refined :)

Don't bother trying this way unless you are very persistant...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.