[SOLVED] Server-side Event Handling

ibechane

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.  I'm not sure which one is best.

I was wondering, what is the most common way for people to program in local event handlers?  For example, say I want to change an XML file on my server at exactly 11:56pm tonight.  I assume that I would write some kind of program on my computer and have it loop, waiting do something to the file at the right time (or local event).  Is there a common programming language or method to achieve this sort of thing?  I don't want the action to rely on a client event (e.g. loading a php file).

Thanks!

thanks!  I'm actually on Windows running WAMP right now on my laptop but I never thought to use the built in scheduler.. duh

So right now, I have a PHP script that does stuff to files on my server, mostly writing to files.  I want to run this script via a scheduler but not have to open a browser every time.  There is very little response text.  Maybe an "I'm done" or error message.  Is there a way I can call a php file, like localhost/myscript.php, via the command line and just have it output the response text without having to open up a browser window?  Or should I just try to convert my program to perl (I'm an extreme newbie w/perl so I'm not even sure how practical that is)?

Thanks for your help thorpe

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.