Columns aren't correct width in IE

jordanwb

There are never 4 real columns, but I manipulate the table into acting like there are four. There are four rows: breadcrumb, content, lower content, and footer. The first and fourth row spans four columns. In the second row the second column spans two columns. In the third row, the two columns span two columns, so that it'll give this look:

|           |           |
|_______|_______|
|                        |
|_______________|

[Edit] Stupid spacing.

I was feeling nice today (again) and so I coded your website for you in pure css. I have given up trying to make people to convert to the PURE CSS religion so I started giving out free stuff like this.

Enjoy!

html

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
	<style type="text/css">
  			@import url("test.css");
	</style>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

<title>Jordan's Site Content Manager - Template Test</title>

</head>

<body>

<!-- Html Page Div -->
<div id="html_page">

<!-- Header -->

<div id="header">
<h1>Stuff Goes Here</h1>
</div>

<div id="body">

<div class="banner">
	<h1>Banner</h1>
</div>

<div class="column1">
	Column1
</div>
<div class="column2">
	Column2
</div>
<div class="column3">
	Column3
</div>
<div class="clear"></div>

<div class="left">
	<p>Left</p>
</div
<div class="right">
	<p>Right</p>
</div>

</div>

<div id="footer">
Created by Greg Solak.
</div>

<!-- End of HTML Page Div -->
</div>

</body>

CSS:

/* Master CSS - controls basic layout - Copyright Greg Solak */

/* Change of browser default properties */

body{margin: 10px auto 30px 0; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;}

a {text-decoration: none;}
a:hover {text-decoration: underline;}

* {margin: 0;padding:0}

/* Layout Div */

#html_page {margin: auto; width: 1000px; border: 1px solid #000;}

.clear {clear: both; height: 0px;}

/* Header */

#header {
border: 1px solid #ccc;
padding: 50px;
text-align: center;
}

/*  Body*/

#body {
}
#body .banner {
margin: 10px 0 5px 0;
border: 1px solid #ccc;
padding: 20px;
}

#body .column1 {
width: 200px;
height: 250px;
padding: 25px 0 0 0;
float: left;
background: #aaa;
}
#body .column2 {
width: 600px;
}
#body .column3 {
width: 200px;
background: #aaa;
}

#body .left {
margin: 10px 0 0 0;
padding: 25px 0 10px 0;
width: 500px;
background: #eee;
}
#body .right {
margin: 10px 0 0 0;
padding: 25px 0 10px 0;
float: right;
background: #ccc;
}

#footer {
margin: 15px 0 5px 0;
font-weight: bold;
}

The css should be straight forward, if you need help just holler.

I wish I could edit my posts. I implemented pretty much everything you showed. It looks good in FF and IE, but in IE there's a big space above the footer and the left and right section. Any ideas?

:P Stupid IE! I was only using FF when coding the website. I'll look into later tonight. I have some stuff to do before hand. It's odd though, because it's basic css stuff!

Oh, and there really isn't a huge advantage to using @import opposed to link href. I just prefer using the @import since it's easier to link up 3 or 4 stylesheets at once. I feel like its more "web 2.0" but it really boils down to preference.

Haku, may tell you the main difference though. He says their is a bug when using @import concering :hover... but I really don't know.

:P Stupid IE! I was only using FF when coding the website. I'll look into later tonight. I have some stuff to do before hand. It's odd though, because it's basic css stuff!

Yours worked perfectly in IE, however my implementation doesn't work quite right.

Oh, and there really isn't a huge advantage to using @import opposed to link href. I just prefer using the @import since it's easier to link up 3 or 4 stylesheets at once. I feel like its more "web 2.0" but it really boils down to preference.

Okee dokee

Haku, may tell you the main difference though. He says their is a bug when using @import concering :hover... but I really don't know.

All right.

[Edit]

I found is has to do with this line:

In IE even though the height is set to 0px, in IE they still have height.

Hey the problem is that one div tag wasn't complete! I forgot a "<"!  ;D

<div class="left">
	<p>Left</p>
</div
<div class="right">
	<p>Right</p>
</div>

See that "</div" that should be "</div>".

Just change it! Checking if it was valid would have helped, but since someone else wrote it for you, I'm sure you assumed it already was valid! Sorry about that!  ;)

I did notice that but that wasn't the problem. In the .clear class I set the height to -7 and it works.

no no. You can not do that! The top gap or the correct term is "margin-top" is actually created by the other float boxes! If you want to get rid of a gap like that you need to change the css! I can do this for you, just tell me which gap or vertical space you are talking about. Trust me, you NEVER want to use negative heights. That's just illogical.

alright... well it's time for you to learn some css. First step is for you to use pure css layouts and then learn how to manipulate them. Open the css page that I made for you. Find the "gap" you want take out. The gap is created by the a margin: __ something something something;

So you need to find the element(s) that are creating these gaps. In this situation you want to take out the gap ABOVE the two boxes. So the gap is created by the two boxes. If you look in the html you see the two boxes are called "class="left"" and class="right" so go to the css box and find a the classes with this. Change the first number of the margin: declaration to 0.

#body .left {
margin: 0 0 0 0;
padding: 0;
background: #eee;
}
#body .right {
margin: 0 0 0 0;
padding: 0;
float: right;
background: #000;
}

That should be final result!  :D You are quite welcome. I'll send the bill in the mail - just kidding.

EDIT: I'm more than willing to help, but I can't do EVERYTHING for you. Try playing around with the "margin." Change one thing at a time, and see how it interacts!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.