How do I apply for a job in a distant company

ryy705

Hello,

This might be a foolish question for people who are experienced.  But I am a noob.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to start looking for a job and I send my resume to a company thats 3000 miles away, would they even call me?  I am willing to move anywhere but how will companies interview me?  Am I expected to fly all over the country every time I get call for an iterview?  How does this work?  Thanks.

Hello,

This might be a foolish question for people who are experienced.  But I am a noob.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to start looking for a job and I send my resume to a company thats 3000 miles away, would they even call me?  I am willing to move anywhere but how will companies interview me?  Am I expected to fly all over the country every time I get call for an iterview?  How does this work?  Thanks.

standard procedure, as far as i know, is to give you a telephone interview to begin with.  if you're an extremely strong candidate and they really think you're the one, they'll likely fly you out for an in-person interview.  this heavily depends on the type of company, mind you - very small companies are likely to be more choosy and less capital-flushed.  on the other hand, big companies are often looking for someone so mundane that they will not consider outside applicants as it isn't worth the extra calibre of candidate they might reach.  so it could go both ways.

EDIT:  daniel beat me to it.

I don't mind a regular 9-5 job.  And I don't mind moving to a different part of the country. So my question is: What happens when I apply for a job at a company that is a thousand mile away?  Do companies hold interviews over the phone?  Do I have to fly there the interview?  Or they wouldn't bother with me since I live faraway?  Has anyone here applied to for a full time job that is many miles away?

This is actually a commmon practice when working with recruiters. Fax or email your resume to them, let them now where you want to work and if something pops up they will call you. Th interview usually consists of initial telephone interview, then they invite (this means they pay) for you to go out there. They will usually make all the travel arrangements, and send you the tickets. I would not pay first then try to get your money refunded from the company.

This is actually a commmon practice when working with recruiters. Fax or email your resume to them, let them now where you want to work and if something pops up they will call you. Th interview usually consists of initial telephone interview, then they invite (this means they pay) for you to go out there. They will usually make all the travel arrangements, and send you the tickets. I would not pay first then try to get your money refunded from the company.

agreed.  as a general rule of thumb, you should NEVER have to pay to get a job, even if it's for travel for an interview. it's against fair consideration (that is, if someone can't afford to get out there, they're unable to get the job) and it just plain doesn't make sense. YOU'RE supposed to be offering value to THEIR company; that's something they should have to invest in, not you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.