Display problem with menu (IE 6 Specific?)

modigy

Hi everyone,

Once in awhile I'm here for some PHP help, but this time I'm having problems with a CSS menu I've put together for a client. 

Here's the page:

http://www.chit-chat.es/php/cursos.php

Basically this page looks terrible for those (some) using IE 6.  I can't for the life of me figure out why.  In all versions of FF and IE 7 it looks perfect.  Basically those with IE 6 see none of the content and the menu to the left (you should see a mess of blue buttons) shows the buttons overlapping.

Can anyone see this problem?  Any possible resolution offered would be a big help.

Thanks in advance,

M

I have stopped supporting ie6 but I'm still willing to help.

I found that you like to nest a lot of tables and divs. Is this really necessary?

<td class="col_2">
								<div class="indent">

<div class="block">
										<div class="r">
											<div class="b">
												<div class="l">
													<div class="l_t">
														<div class="r_t">
															<div class="r_b">
																<div class="l_b">
																	<div class="ind">

I'm not trying to critique your website and come off like a jerk, but you shouldn't nest like 50 divs like that. Div soup is bad.

Anywaz, back to the problem. I see you are using some javascript. Have you tried to take out the javascript with the pop out lists and try it without? Does it work in ie6 then?

I also don't like how you created two separate list elements.

In my opinion each blue button should be an < li> .. you did this but made each one enclosed in their own < ul>. You should really make that two blue buttons part of the same list. This should make your code simplier and more semantic.

Can you post an image on what is happening on IE6. I like to debug code, but it's frustrating when I'm staring at IE7 and FF and it all goods!

Thanks TheFilmGod,

I will get you some screen shots.  I myself can't see the problem because I don't support IE6 either.  In fact there is only one person (out of about 15) in the office that is having the problem.  She works on accounts and refuses to update her software (including her version of IE) because she is afraid of compatibility issues.  I understand her concern, but she should be update.  She claims that their are 'others' that are having the same problem.  I'm sure the percentage is very small and nearly all of my clients are willing to accept it but this client.

By the way, the endless div came about because the client didn't want to pay the extra for my custom design.  Therefore we went with a template.  Now I am perhaps paying for it with a client that has one employee that refuses to update their software.

Anyway, I'll send you a screen shot as soon as they send it my way.

Thanks again,

M

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.