Faxing from PHP without using a service

tibberous

Did you? None of them are particularly helpful, which is why I was hoping to find someone who had done it before.

I did find a service that charges $8.00/month without a per fax cost. It's outbound only, but I still think that might be easier than spending the time to setup a system - especially when you consider that my way would tie up a computer, and possibly our fax lines.

"There is no direct way to send a fax from within PHP."

That's just coming from a guy on a message board, and I'm guessing incorrect. At worst you might have to use an extension or a shell command, in the same way if you want to convert video you have to use ffmpeg or memcoder.

I didn't say I didn't want to use something in addition to PHP, I just didn't want to use a web service I'd have to pay for.

I doubt you can get it done on Windows with shell commands.  On Linux, you can check out the efax package which contains efix, efax, and fax.  efix converts images to faxes and then efax and fax are used for getting faxes and setting everything up.  Doesn't have to do with the actual eFax service by the same name, lol.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.