Can you use cURL for POP3?

ridiculous

Why?

PHP has a built-in way of getting mail using POP -- the imap functions -- don't let the name fool you, they can be used for POP.

Ken

Imap is probably one of the most painful libraries to work with.

Explain what you need to do first because we might be able to save you headaches cause IMAP = headaches

Actually, I have been able to write email clients in both IMAP and Sockets - but I don't have access to either extension from the server that I'm hosting the script on.

I just need to know if you can do a curl_init that doesn't automatically go to http or ftp.

in other words, I'm wondering if you can do the following in cURL:

[1] fsockopen($server, 110);

OR

[2] imap_open ("{$server:110/pop3}INBOX", "user_id", "password");

Or, like I've said before, don't use GoDaddy.  You can't hack the cURL library into doing this (well, I mean, you COULD, but I doubt you'd be very successful, as it's pretty complicated stuff). =/  Sheesh.  cooldude has a pretty good idea, but it won't work unless the server that you can use imap or sockets can be accessed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.