Looking for Good Web Hosting

Liquid Fire

I am looking for a solid web hosting company that provide at a minimum:

PHP 5.2.6(and updates regular)

MySQL 5 or greater

Apache 2 or greater

SVN

Now what i would also like is the ability to install or have installed a version of php(say if i want php 5.3 alpha2 or something).  I also want to just pay month and not have to pay for a full year or something and am willing to pay up to 20 dollars a month.

Now to be able to install my own software it seems like i would have to get VPS host but i am confused with some thing about it.  A lot of VPS(but not all) have a thing call minimum guaranteed ram.  Now would assume that any amount(even 64MB which seems low) would be better than the amount of ram i am guaranteed on an shared hosting plan, would this be correct?

any recommendation would be great

1) There is a sticky in this forum for webhosts.

2) Yes, guaranteed ram, at least on the surface anyways, is better than straight shared ram.  Basically what guaranteed ram means is that even if some other person/company sharing the server is being a ram hog, it should only affect your website's performance so much, because you are guaranteed to be allotted at least X, as opposed to on a straight shared server where if someone is being a ram hog for whatever reason, it could cause your website to not be served at all.

On the surface that seems cool, but I mean come on.  If someone on your shared server is being a memory hog on purpose or maybe someone targeted him for a DNS attack or whatever reason out there that they are consuming ram, there's a really good possibility that no matter what, you're gonna feel it.  And if they are not being a memory hog for whatever reason, you're not gonna feel it.  So overall, "guaranteed ram" is more of a gimmick.  It's technically true, but you pretty much face the same conditions whether you have it or not. 

64 MB RAM is unlikely to be sufficient. You have to consider that the various daemons and the OS itself will use some of the memory. On a shared server there is dedicated an amount of memory for that purpose and the rest will be used for the individual applications that runs on the server.

On my VPS I have 256 MB guaranteed RAM and double the amount burst. That means if it's available then I can have an additional 256 MB, but only if it's available.

64 MB RAM is unlikely to be sufficient. You have to consider that the various daemons and the OS itself will use some of the memory. On a shared server there is dedicated an amount of memory for that purpose and the rest will be used for the individual applications that runs on the server.

On my VPS I have 256 MB guaranteed RAM and double the amount burst. That means if it's available then I can have an additional 256 MB, but only if it's available.

what service do you use and how much it is?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.