imagemagick vs. GD

tibberous

We use both on our servers. Currently I perfer to use the GD it seems to get the job done faster unless you fork out your processes within PHP.

I haven't looked into how it effects the cpu but in terms of actual load times after an image upload/resize GD (on our servers) currently has the edge.

The main reason we installed image magik was because GD1 was pretty dismal but since its been updated the results are alot better.

They each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I have to side with imagemagick on this one, but have only used it in conjunction with the Imagick Extension.

Imagick extension for PHP. (http://us2.php.net/manual/en/class.imagick.php).

Also check out Mikko Koppanen's blog (http://valokuva.org/?cat=1) as he is one of the primary developers of the extension.

I've had problems with GD exceeding memory limitations on big files before as well, but I have been able to work with files much larger using imagemagick, perhaps just a fluke.

As far as speed goes from my experiences they're both comparable, but ImageMagick provides a lot more flexibility. Being able to thumbnail hundreds of formats is incredible, including Photoshop Files, Illustrator, PDF's among so many others. Those all depend upon your Ghostscript installation though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.