[SOLVED] Ajax Chat

GameYin

Ugh yes I do. Sorry for wrong thread but I believe the AJAX part isn't wrong.

No errors are given. If you would please go to the site (not trying to be rude) and type something in, you will see nothing happens. The data isn't going to the table and thus nothing shows up. (My theory). (Well, I KNOW it isn't going to the table (SELECT *  FROM chat)).

Not sure but you have a html/css issue, highlighted below

<div id="view_ajax" style="overflow=auto; width: 500px; color:red; height: 300px; border: 1px dotted red;">

CSS attributes are assigned with a colon ( : ) not an equals sign.

As for why the message is not being displayed there is most probably a bug in your Javascript. You may want to try FireBug (a Firefox extension) a try to debug your JavaScript.

Also do not bump your post ever couple of hours, allow up to 12 hours for a reply. It also helps if you posted your problem in the correct forum, posting in the forum with the "most traffic" will not get your question answered quicker.

I believed my problem was not with JavaScript/Ajax so I posted this in the PHP help. As it turns out I was right. I'm now trying to make it so you can set your own username. Will post back soon

Also I tend to get ancy when I can't figure something out.

Ok Now I need help with JavaScript. I want users to set their own username.

gameyin.com/ajaxchat/

type in the 2nd text field waht you want your username to be

function setName() {
var username = document.set.Name.value;
username=document.cookie = "name="+ username + ";";
http[username]=createRequestObject();
http[username].open(\'get\', \'submit.php?username=\'+ username);
http[username].send(null);

}

</form>
                        <form name="setMyName" id="set" method="get">
                        <input type="text" id="Name" />
                        <input type="submit" onclick="setName()" />
                        </form>

In my setName function, I wasn't calling the form...I got part of it owrking. I can get a name to display, but you can't get a message in. Like, if you fill out both fields, ...hard to explain, go there and mess with it. The database is only adding a name OR text depending on which submit button you do.  Should I combine functions??

You seem to think I'm pro at this stuff xD. I'm only 16...I know a little bit of PHP but AJAX is my worst part.

Errrr.... I'm only 16 ;p.  Has less to do with age and more to do with how long you've been coding.

Anyway, if you want users to not be able to steal each other's names, you will probably want to log them in via some kind of PHP script, and just use sessions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.