Dreamweaver doesnt display CSS info correctly...?

wmguk

Hey guys,

I've got dreamweaver CS3, and I've been working on a website. Finally got it sorted so I rand the CSS and XHTML validation check for it, and only had 16 errors, mainly background and bgcolor problems...

So i googled and fixed them, the only problem now is inside dreamweaver the background images and colors that I changed dont display! and its hard to work on the site....

is there something I can do, cause im sure I cant be the only guy with these sort of problems?

is there a setting that dreamweaver should be set to so that I can auto be CSS and XHTML validated?

Thanks Guys

Don't design your site around Dreamweavers Design view. It will not render your design as a browser would.

Always preview your design through an actual browser. Whenever I create a new site design I always test with 3 - 4 browsers which are IE, FF, Safari and Opera. Normally I dont have to do anything with FF, Safari and Opera. Its IE which is normally the problem.

I only noticed I could install safari on a PC today hehe, so I now have IE7, FF and safari to test with, but yes I agree IE is a pain...

So basically only work in code, and drop the WYSIWYG views...

wouldnt you think dreamweaver would be able to handle that!

grrrr, oh and thanks for the reply :)

for IE, you can run 5.5, 6, 7 & 8 beta all in one app, without doing a multiple IE install, you just have to have xp sp2 with IE7 http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

What about vista?

From the linked site

Minimum requirement : Windows Vista or Windows XP with IE7 (Windows XP with IE6 has some minor problems and IE7/IE8 instances do not work under this config)

Works with Vista also, see the requirements that wildteen posted. I tried and am still using IEtester, compared its rendering for the different IE, to a browser screen shot site like http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/index.php, so far, it all looks the same (cudo to the author). The only minor bug I noticed so far, is that when you first open IETester, make sure to select the default browser 7 "first", if you select any other versions first, it will crash the app itself, does not cause any problem with Windows, it's a known bug. Try it out, it's free, doesn't hurt.

The problem with dreamweaver's design view is that it is pretending to be a browser, but it isn't a browser. No browser renders it's code the same way as dreamweaver, and as a result you cannot expect that what you see in dreamweaver is what you will see in any browser. The only thing the design view should be used for is just a cursory glance at what it may look like in a browser, and I don't even use it for that myself.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.