[SOLVED] LIKE

jaymc

I have a zip code table with 1.7 million rows

If I search for a zip code I get a result in less than a second, the zip code is indexed so thats why

However, if I search for a zip code using LIKE '$123%' LIMIT 0,1 it is taking 40 seconds +

Here is the explain

Is there a reason why when using LIKE it takes a long time?

"id","select_type","table","type","possible_keys","key","key_len","ref","rows","Extra"

"1","SIMPLE","postcodes","index","","PRIMARY","12","","1754783","Using where; Using index"

This should help

CREATE TABLE `postcodes` (
  `postcode` varchar(10) character set latin1 collate latin1_general_ci NOT NULL,
  `street` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_general_ci default NULL,
  `city` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_general_ci default NULL,
  `county` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_general_ci default NULL,
  `street2` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_general_ci default NULL,
  `town` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
  `x` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
  `y` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
  `longitude` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
  `latitude` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`postcode`),
  KEY `postcode` (`postcode`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

This is fine LIKE '123%' LIMIT 0,1

This takes time LIKE '%123%' LIMIT 0,1

So errr....  What country are these postal codes in?  USA?  International?  Are they fully numeric?  If so, I would make the postcode column numeric.  What are x and y?  Seems like they could probably be numeric too, but no idea what they are, so....  Longitude/latitude?  Those could be numeric, but then I guess you would need other columns or something.

Why do you have a primary key and a normal key on postcode?  That's redundant.

As for your problem, MySQL doesn't use indexes with LIKE '%<anything here>'.

I don't remember the exact reason, but logic tells me it's this:

MySQL indexes things in trees (b-trees usually if I remember right), meaning that if you're looking for something that starts with ABC, it will go down the A branch, then the B branch, then the C branch.  The problem with wildcards at the start is that it doesn't know which tree to follow as it would have to follow all of them to follow subsequent things, and since % can mean any amount of characters, it would have to follow all branches and sub branches.  In other words, using indexes would essentially be the same as a table scan.

The way around this little problem?  I don't know to be honest.  Maybe someone will have run into this problem before.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.