Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michaellunsford

Determining a visitor's Operating System

Thus quoteth the manual:
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--] While browscap.ini contains information on many browsers, it relies on user updates to keep the database current.[/quote]

okay, we know get_browser isn't the solution. Is there an easier way to just find out what a site visitor's operating system is?

As Crayon_Violent pointed out, HTTP_USER_AGENT, which is a part of the global variable $_SERVER[]

$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']

I had hoped not to explode USER_AGENT by ";" and write a function to interpret the third array object. I guess browscap.ini is starting to look better than I thought.

get_browser RELIES on the USER_AGENT:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]mixed get_browser ( [string [b]user_agent[/b] [, bool return_array]] )[/quote]

It IS the best option. Finito. Maybe you can code something similar, but you'll have to use the USER_AGENT header anyways

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.