[SOLVED] Server Spec

jaymc

I want to colo a server which will be dedicated to mysql as I have a lot of traffic for sql

I was going to go all out and spend £1000+ on a quad core, 12GB ram etc

My question is, should I be more concerned about memory than CPU power?

the reason I ask this is I have a dual opteron 242 (2x CPU single core), good disks. I could use this and just buy 12GB of memory

Do I really need the CPU power? Will not having mega CPU's cause me to hit bottle knecks or is mysql basicaly 80% all in the memory

Cheers

I think fast disks, preferably in array will have most influence. Then CPU and then RAM.

That's just from what knowledge I got on internet. I never configured a server for MySQL myself, so I'll also be glad to read some advice.

DBs can get CPU intensive, especially if there are poorly written queries causing lots of sorting or full table scans, but for the most part, I would imagine the CPU, as long as it's decent would be fine.  I would probably balance CPU, RAM and the HDD, with slightly more emphasis on RAM/HDD.  Which model of Opteron?

Change of plan, I know have a Dell PowerEdge 6600 which has 32GB of memory and 4x single core Xeon 2.5Ghz

I want to virtualise this so I can split it into Virtual Severs using Vmware or Xen

I need to know if I can get away with assiging the mysql virtual server 1 CPU,with 16GB of memory

As I've stated above I know the more memory you can give mysql for key buffers etc the faster it will run as it will not need to touch disks as much, but does it still need a fair amount of CPU power, if so, how much? Is 2.5Ghz going to be enough or is there a good chance I will notice performance bottle knecks

Cheers

Just of curiosity, why do you need a dedicated MySQL serv?  Do you have a ton of web sites, or do you have 1 that has a ton of SQL stuff?

Anyway, I would think 2.5GHz would be fine unless you're doing anything that would require lots of CPU power.  (Wow, that was the most useless advice I've ever given.)  How many queries do you run per second?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.