8 members have voted

1. 1. What Javascript Library Do You Use

• Dojo
    • ExtJS
    • jQuery
    • Mootools
    • Prototype
    • YahooUI
    • I Use Vanilla Javascript(Frameworkless)
    • Other(Please Reply With Framework)

I am trying to build some statistics for used frameworks(php and javascript) so any help would be great.  Also if there is a specific reason you use on over the other, that would be great.

I use jQuery.  I started off with Mootools and i did like the way they did stuff but the community was very bad.  Then a co-worker suggested for me to use jQuery and i fell in love with it.  It was a very different way of coding javascript from Mootools but after a while i really started to like it and with even more time, to do the same thing in Mootools take a lot less code in jQuery.  I thing Mootools has over jQuery is that Mootools seems to have a better animation system but jQuery has improved a lot since i first started(the first version i worked with use version 1.1 and the current is 1.2.6).

I also have had the opportunity to work with ExtJS and if you are ok with letting ExtJS completely take over the interface, then it can be a good choice.  It does provide a lot of functionality but it is very complex to get into and seems to be very fussy with build complex interfaces(some things did not work very when i tried to place a lot of different components together on one screen).  Also the for it being very complex, it does not help that the documentation is not 100% thurowly done as some option for components are missing and there are only basic example code snippets).

I like jQuery for any large JavaScript thing.  But, jQuery is the only thing I've ever used since I've only done complex JS stuff a handful of times, and I didn't feel like learning anything besides jQuery for them.  So pretty much it wins for me because I'm lazy ;p.

And the name Mootools sounds ridiculous to me.  I judge books by their covers.

I used both prototype and mootools. And i still wanna try out jQuery and Dojo.

both prototype and mootools are very similar with difference that mootools is a lot smaller then prototype. only downside i see is that mootools seem to change their framework every 2 months this means that a lot of times you will have to rewrite your mootools classes/functions to work with the new release

I used both prototype and mootools. And i still wanna try out jQuery and Dojo.

both prototype and mootools are very similar with difference that mootools is a lot smaller then prototype. only downside i see is that mootools seem to change their framework every 2 months this means that a lot of times you will have to rewrite your mootools classes/functions to work with the new release

the guys developing mootools should learn to to develop a stable API.  I mean I would not bother using a framework(or language) where i would have to update my code every time they updated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.