Apache works (sometimes) internally, but never Externally.

jafrance

Hey all.  New to the forums!  Chances are that this is a repost on some level, but I wanted to make sure that all of my circumstances were covered.

I am running Apache 2.2.9 on a dedicated XP box using my home broadband connection (modem and router).  Upon initial install of the sever, everything works internally.  At this point, I registered with DynDns with jafrance.dyndns.org using my external public IP, automatically detected by the service.  I then forwarded port 80 and port 433, both TCP and UDP, to the Apache PC's internal IP.  Seems pretty basic, so I opened up a browser and tried to navigate to jafrance.dyndns.org.  Nothing happened.  Next, I called my ISP to see if 80 was being blocked.  I found out that they (Charter) does not block ANYTHING (the way it should be)!!  So, I opened up the httpd.conf file and found the listening port entry....

So, here is where I am.  Im not sure if I need to put my internal IP or my external IP in the Listen area of the httpd.  Furthermore, I dont know if I am even going to be able to test the setup from within my own network.

Does any of this look way off, or does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?  Im pulling my hair out over this.

So figured out why I could not see the server internally using the jafrance.dyndns.org.  My router was blocking all anonymous requests.  I unchecked that and it went right in.  Now I am at work doing some things and thought I would test it out.  I already know that the domain name is not being blocked by our content system, and the Network guy that runs the firewall already informed me that there should be no problem.  When I try to connect from here, however, I get a 504 Bad Gateway. Can someone test it out that isn't on a corporate network?

So I tested it externally on a regular Internet connection and its not working either.  So, it still isn't working from the outside.  I can plug in the jafrance.dyndns.org from home and it comes right up.  I just don't get it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point.  Its going to keep me from throwing the whole PC out the window.

Well, I restarted my router, updated the firmware and reset back to factory defaults.  I re-entered the port forwarding of 80-80 (port range) TCP & UDP (also tried just UDP), I changed the httpd file to listen on 192.168.1.100:80 and just Listen 80 (should it be Listen *:80?) and I still cant hit it from outside.

Late last night I turned on logging on the router and had a friend test the connection from home.  It doesnt look like anything was coming in at all.  So now I wonder if my ISP told me wrong about incoming 80.  When I get home from work tonight, I will test with a different port and port triggering.

I spent an hour or so on the phone with my ISP last night trying to convince them that the problem was on their end.  They eventually found some filters on the modem that 'weren't supposed to be there' and removed them.  Still cant get in on port 80, 443 or 9191 (just one I tried).  I can however, and this is the kicker, I can remote administer my router through 443.  So now I am back to pointing at my server config.  Anything I should be looking for?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.