help, please on a form

madox

Guys,

I am new to php and I am sure this question has come up,  I don't see why it is not working. I have this in two parts:

Here is my html code for the form

<form action="contact.php" method="get"> 

<div class="container1">

<div class="col-3">

<div class="h"><input type="your_name" value="name" /></div>

<div class="h"><input type="your_email" value="e-mail" /></div>

<div class="h"><input type="your_phone" value="phone" /></div>

<div class="h"><input type="your_address" value="address" /></div>

</div>

<div class="col-4">

<textarea name="message" cols="35" rows="35">message</textarea><br />

<div class="fright">

<div class="link-2"><em><b><a href="#" onclick="document.getElementById('contact.php').submit()">Send</a></b></em></div> 

<div class="indent"><div class="link-2"><em><b><a href="#" onclick="document.getElementById('contact.php').reset()">Clear</a></b></em></div></div>

</div>

</div>

<br class="clear" />

</div>

</form>

contact.php

<?

$subject="from ".$_GET['your_name'];

$headers= "From: ".$_GET['your_email']."\n";

$phone="from: ".$_GET['your_phone'];

$address="from: ".$_GET['your_address'];

$headers.='Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1';

mail("my-emailaddress@here"

<html>

<head>

<title>Contact letter</title>

</head>

<body>

<br>

".$_GET['message']."

</body>

</html>" , $headers);

echo ("Your message was successfully sent!");

?>

<script>

resizeTo(300, 300)

//window.close()

</script>

Any help would be great.

Besides using the code tags and I'd like to hear what issues are arising, your form itself looks like it would never work...

<div class="h"><input type="your_name" value="name" /></div>
                                                                   <div class="h"><input type="your_email" value="e-mail" /></div>
                                                                   <div class="h"><input type="your_phone" value="phone" /></div>
                                                                   <div class="h"><input type="your_address" value="address" /></div>

"type" isn't what you want to name your input, its the tag for what type of form object to use. try:

<input type="text" name="your_name" value="name" />

Brian W. is right the types you have should be the names.  Do:

One more question before we proceed, why don't you use POST rather than GET?  It's easier and more secure.  All you would have to do in your contact.php script would just use:

//For your_name input field
$_POST['your_name'];

Also your code is all messed up.  You don't use starting or ending php tags.  For example you have:

mail("my-emailaddress@here"

First the here" is messed up, not even a finished line, second you're going from PHP to HTML without tags.  Maybe they're not showing up because you didn't use the code tags like i suggested.

I added the code to the contact.php file and it didn't give me any error's.

Here is my contact.php code

<?
ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);
mail("my-e-mail address"
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>

<br>
  ".$_GET['message']."
</body>
</html>" , $headers);
?>
<script>
resizeTo(300, 300)
//window.close()
</script>

<form action="contact.php" method="get">   
                                                            <div class="container1">
                                                                <div class="col-3">
                                                                    <div class="h"><input type="text" name="your_name" value="name"></div>
                                                                    <div class="h"><input type="text" name="your_address" value="name"/></div>
                                                                    <div class="h"><input type="text" name="your_phone" value="name"/></div>
                                                                    <div class="h"><input type="text" name="your_address" value="name" /></div>
                                                                </div>
                                                                <div class="col-4">
                                                                  <textarea name="message" cols="35" rows="35">message</textarea><br />
                                                                  <div class="fright">
                                                                  		<div class="link-2"><em><b><a href="#" onclick="document.getElementById('contact.php').submit()">Send</a></b></em></div>   
                                                                        <div class="indent"><div class="link-2"><em><b><a href="#" onclick="document.getElementById('contact.php').reset()">Clear</a></b></em></div></div>
                                                                  </div>
                                                              </div>
                                                              <br class="clear" />
                                                         </div>
                                                      </form>

Okay first thing, you need to learn when to use the <?php ?> tags.  For example:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
mail("my-e-mail address"

Needs to be:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
mail("my-e-mail address"    //WTF is this!?
?>

See the difference?

Sorry I fixed my code. I must have deleted it somehow.

Here is the code again, plus I fix the tag.

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);
mail("my email address", $subject,  "
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>

<br>
  ".$_GET['message']."
</body>
</html>" , $headers);
?>
<script>
resizeTo(300, 300)
//window.close()
</script>

Maq, I told madox to read http://us2.php.net/mail

It has a great example of what the mail() function should look like.

You should also make the body of your email a string than have the string in the function.

mail('youremail', $subject, $body, $headers)

also, html doesn't always go well in emails, many email clients don't accept the tags. please some one inform me of how to change that if there is a way.

line breaks can be accomplished with \n\r

Kind of like what Brian W said, it's much easier to format the mail variables separate from the function (not tested!):

$headers "whatever you need";
$subject = "Hello there";
$my_email = "tim@yahoo.com";
$message = "

Contact letter

".$_GET['message']."

";

mail("my email address", $subject, $message, $headers);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.