What can PHP not do for you? and if PHP is regenerative....

Xu Wei Jie

Hi all,

I am a student from the National University of Singapore. I want to know more about what kind of complexity all of you faces when developing PHP systems or infrastructures. 

PHP is an extensible language. However, it does have its limitations and moreover like any other languages, we face issues like code complexity, maintainability and re usability.

I wish to poll problems and case studies faced by the PHP community when developing intricate and complicated systems that involves a high amount of "lines of code".

What are the things PHP cannot offer you?

What would you think PHP can do better?

If PHP were to have regenerative mechanisms within it that helps to reduce code complexity, would you use it?

How would you think it will benefit you?

weijie

However, it does have its limitations and moreover like any other languages, we face issues like code complexity, maintainability and re usability.

As you say, this is with any language. It's how programming works. To get something to react in specific ways according to specific input, code needs to be complex.

As for code re-usability, well classes are ideal for this. Creating classes allows code to be re-used, and turns PHP into a more object oriented style of programming.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a student from <my high school>.  I have a question.

That doesn't mean the question is homework.

But yes, he was most likely telling us that for us to infer that he is doing it as homework....

Useful answer coming soon....

Hi all,

I am doing this for research. It is quite open ended as to what I can gather from all of you since I am working on the limitations of php and trying to make sense of how php can be further improved to benefit the php community.

Thus, I hope to have your valuable inputs with regards to your field of experiences and comment on the urop report which I gave the link to above. Hopefully, we can have an interesting discussion. Thanks.

regards,

weijie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.