Unix vs. Windows Server

pets2soul

Dear all,

I'm new to php programming, however, I have experience of successfully setting up a php website on a Unix web server.

Recently, it has been very frustrating trying to build a php website on a Windows server. No matter how I try, all the things that seem natural on Unix server became very difficult with Windows server...

Such as sending form mail through SMTP, setting up a table in MySQL...all I'm trying to do are basic php functions, but still they just don't work.

Are php scripts so different on Windows server from Unix server? Or it's just Windows server that's causing all the problem??

Thanks!

On Windows you need to install Apache, PHP, & MySQL. You're best bet is to install one of the packaged sets such as xampp. Once you've done that, PHP acts pretty much the same.

I develop/test most of my code on Windows before uploading it to a Linux server with no problems.

Ken

"Or it's just Windows server that's causing all the problem??"

If you want to get technical, it's lack of knowledge of Windows that is causing the problem.  You shouldn't be encountering any issues at all.

I do the same thing as Ken most of the time.  Dev on Windows, upload to linux.  0 problems so far caused by OSs not matching.

First of all, I'm not the server manager, but I'm sure we have those installed, except phpmyadmin, it IS a pain without it! But with everything else installed there should be no problem setting up a table in a existing MySQL database with something like this:

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","user","password");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

// Create table
mysql_select_db("db_name", $con);
mysql_query("CREATE TABLE name
(
FirstName varchar(15),
LastName varchar(15),
OrchBand varchar(15),
PeopleId varchar(15),
PartYear YEAR,
CateName varchar(15),
Biography LONGBLOB,
PicURL varchar(15)
)") or die(mysql_error());  

echo "Table Created!";

mysql_close($con);
?>

Shouldn't it?

Screw Windows, even if you get it to work, it can't be trusted.

Here's an alternative:

Installl VMWare + Linux Virtual Machine + configure some NAT. 

You'll have a perfectly good Linux to host the website on, plus it would be most secured.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.