[SOLVED] Help with Win2003 php error

I just installed PHP 5 on a Windows 2003 IIS6 server and am unable to get php to function correctly.  I have gone through several tutorials to try to make this work.  In the beginning I used the installer, but it seemed to fail so then I uninstalled and used the zip file and manually added a c:\php5 folder. I also added php.ini to c:\windows and php5ts.dll to c:\windows\system32.  And I have double checked to make sure I have PHP listed as a web extension.

When I try to run http://localhost/index.php  from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\  I get a message that says the website cannot be displayed, most likely causes: The website is under maintenance or the website has a programming error. 

Where should I look first to find my problem?

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.