Need suggestions on how to speed up load time

zkoneffko

Here is my situation.  I have multiple php pages that I want to put a manual on the right side of.  The manual will be the same on everypage.  I have created the manual as an expandable menu in a separate file.  I currently load the file on each page using the onLoad function.  However, due to the size of the manual and the size that file is, it has long load times.  Everytime you go to a separate php page it reloads the manaul include and takes long again.  I'm simply looking for the best way to include this on everypage.  Should I continue to use the onLoad with some added function I'm unaware of, or what is the best way to do this.  I'm am open to all suggestions.

if its an expandable menu can you just write the first layer in your code then include each new level when a user clicks on that level so it is in lots of different files no one big one. so the user only loads the parts they wish to view.

Scott.

Personally I would use a database and ajax.  The user clicks on a menu item and it only retrieves the info for that page and inserts it in the current view without reloading the page.  It would be very fast compared to what you are doing.

are u doing any compleax queries or any big logic stuff there in your manual page

may be it can help  u like in ur entire app when the manual was initially loaded keep a session to have all the file contents and when ever if the session is there directly echo the sess var (it is suggested only when ur not changing the menu content)

zkoneffko, if you post a link to the site or post an example of what you are doing (what the file is, what processing is being done on it, how it is being displayed), you will get more specific answers. Since you have not shown any real information, you are just getting generic do-this, do-that suggestions that might not have anything to do with what or how you are using the catalog file on your site.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.