[SOLVED] Help needed with post method

BinaryBird

Hi, i am working with a login form using php. I have a problem submitting the form values. Here is the code :

<BODY>

<div class="main">

<h1>Login Form</h1>

<br/><br/>

<div class="box">

<form action="process.php" method="post">

<label> <span>Username: </span><input type="text" name="username" value="" /><label/>

<label> <span>Password: </span><input type="password" name="password" value="" /><label>

</form>

<div class="spacer"><a href="process.php" onClick="" class="green">Sign in</a></div>

<div class="spacer">

Lost your data? <a href="#">Get your password</a><br/>

New User? <a href="#">Sign up</a>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</BODY>

i am new to both html and php. I understand that if i use a submit button, i can access the form varibles (username & password ) in the process.php page using $_POST.

Now if i want to access them by clicking on a link (<div class="spacer"><a href="process.php" onClick="" class="green">Sign in</a></div>)

i'm not able to access the same now using the $_POST superglobal. Please help me as to how i can access the form variables in process.php using this method. If i am wrong in writing the code, please correct me. Thanks.

I am basically trying to create a login form. So that i can take in the username and password from a user and validate it using values from a database. I understand that i need to submit the form using this piece of code

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />

But i don't want to use the default submit button. I wanted to use a custom button. How do i send the values (i,e username and password) from the login page to a process page using a custom button and not the default button. I am new to html and php. Sorry about not using the code tags earlier. Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.