vertical-align not working

F1Fan

I'm really trying to stop using tables, but I can't seem to get vertical-align to do anything.

I have a loading div that covers the whole page. I am trying to have the 300px by 150px div be centered vertically and horizontally. Any help is appreciated.

<div id="pleasewait" style="vertical-align:middle;width:100%;height:100%;background-color:#000000;cursor:wait;display:block;z-index:1;position:fixed;left:0px;top:0px;">
<div style="height:auto;"> </div>
<div style="margin:auto auto auto auto;text-align:center;border: solid 1px black;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-weight:bold;width:300px;height:150px;">
	Please wait...<br><br>
	<image src="images/pleasewait.gif">
</div>
</div>

This is untested but should work.....

margin auto auto auto auto:?did that do anything  ive never thought of that

<div id="pleasewait" style="vertical-align:middle;width:100%;height:100%;background-color:#000000;cursor:wait;display:block;z-index:1;position:fixed;left:0px;top:0px;">
   <div style="height:auto;"> </div>
   <div style="margin:o auto;vertical-align:middle:text-align:center;border: solid 1px black;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-weight:bold;width:300px;height:150px;">
      Please wait...<br><br>
      <image src="images/pleasewait.gif">
   </div>
</div>

The actual old html 3.0 element - vertical-align - only works within table cells.

DropFaith was on the right track.

To center a block level select you must, first, always give it a width smaller than its parent select, then use margin:0 auto. What it needs is to use auto to calculate left and right margins in order to center within a parent element.

It obviously will not work on a floated or absolute positioned element.

You had used the letter o instead of the "number" zero "0".

Position:fixed is also not advised since it, too, is not cross-browser compatible.

z-index:1;position:fixed;left:0px;top:0px; is wasted since you already have width and height at 100% for the main select.

"cursor:wait;" this is a dhtml or ajax only element not css. Setting the cursor in CSS is not cross-browser compatible.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.