How can I sell a particular software and then when they buy it, it is automatically e

meloncrack

If I wanted to sell a software or file that I have and a customer makes the purchase on my website (paypal) upon payment, how can I get my e-mail to e-mail the customer a link to download automatically, and the e-mail link disintegrates after 24-48 hours. How can I do something like this OR where can I get information about this.

Thanks a lot.

Send a message via AIM to meloncrack meloncracked

Send a message via MSN to meloncrack meloncrack@live.com

Send a message via Yahoo to meloncrack meloncrack@yahoo.com

Use a unique key string within the url to download the file. Store this key in a db along with a timestamp.

i.e.

http://yourdomain.com/download.php?key=123456789

On the download page - get the timestamp from the db using the key and you can then check whether or not the download has expired. Present the user with a message if the download has expired or kill completely if an invalid key is used.

What is a good way to determine that the download is complete?

Once the users purchase goes through, store an random id in a database. Send the customer your link with this random id attached. Once the download is complete remove the id from the database.

What is a good way to determine that the download is complete?

Once the users purchase goes through, store an random id in a database. Send the customer your link with this random id attached. Once the download is complete remove the id from the database.

You can't really, but you can have the link active for only x amount of time, enough time for anybody to be able to download it.  Unless they were using a 300 baud modem like in my Commodore 64 days LOL.

A common way to do this would to have a time limit on the id in the database as Neil pointed out but if you use php to send the file I think you can then remove the key from the database once the file has been send.

// Use the database to get the file name and file location for the submited key.
header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="download.jpg"');
readfile('images/100.jpg');
// Remove the key from the database.

This would download the file images/100.jpg which has been stored on the webserver to avoid duplicate names and sent to the user in a more user friendly way.

You could also timelimit a cookie so the user can download it again if it fails. Usually you get about 24 hours.

Hey I figured it out, for those that want to know the same solution to my problem is this.

It's called a digital goods delivery software. But it's super expensive almost more expensive then the cost of your cable internet. But so I have a different question. Instead of buying these company's softwares is there another way to go about this? Can anyone give me any suggestions on learning how to do it myself without these expensive third-party programs? Thank you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.