Hidden Cron?

matfish

Hi there, after the great help of my last post ... I'm back again!

For a while now I have had a database backup script (.sh) running (not set up by myself) running every night and placing a backup on the server. However I have never seen a crontab set up for it in Plesk.

Anyhoo - recently the backups have stopped working for no reason - no change on the server. But still no cron tab to check. I set up a cron tab manaully in plesk but the script still will not run.

Its fine if I run it manually in SSH?

Any ideas

Many thanks

However I have never seen a crontab set up for it in Plesk.

It was likely setup through crontab.

But still no cron tab to check. I set up a cron tab manaully in plesk but the script still will not run.

Can we see the script? And maybe your cron entry?

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Sorry I have had to remove some of the information below for security reasons!

mysql_back.sh (this works when run in SSH)

#!/bin/bash
today=`date '+%Y_%m_%d'`

mysqldump [DBname] -h[iPAddress] -P[Port] -u[user] -p[Password] > /var/lib/mysql5dumps/$today.sql

Is this what you mean by listing the crontab?

0       2       *       *       *       /shell_scripts/domain.co.uk/mysql5_backup.sh

Many thanks

"For a while now I have had a database backup script (.sh) running (not set up by myself) running every night and placing a backup on the server. However I have never seen a crontab set up for it in Plesk."

Chances are, it was setup under a different user in Plesk.  (Unless of course you're logged in as root.  Then you should see everything.)

So it works in SSH but not as a crontab?  Make it log in the crontab and see what is going wrong.

0      2      *      *      *      /shell_scripts/domain.co.uk/mysql5_backup.sh > /some/where/log.log

Also, you might want to make the crontab happen sooner so you don't have to wait a day ;p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron#crontab_syntax

Right now it looks like it's running at 2AM.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.