laptop monitor question

Stooney

I took this monitor off an old hp laptop and am looking to extend the cable where it plugs into the motherboard.  I included a picture, but my phone's camera isn't that great.  I don't even know if such a thing exists.  As of now I just plan to cut the wires and solder my own extensions on.  Want to know if there's an easier way first.

cable.jpg

If you are willing to accept the possibility that signal problems will prevent this from working after you go to all the trouble, your first step would be to see if there is a manufacturer's logo or name and/or a part number on either the connector on the cable or the connector where it was plugged into. You could then find if there are mating pieces available that accept discrete wires instead of being pc board mounted, that you could use to make an extension.

Newark is one of the major resellers of electronic components like connectors, where you could buy just one or two of what you need. Searching in their catalog might turn up useful information - http://www.newark.com/

Jameco is also a good component supplier - http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.