How do you delete sessions by ID?

kmaid

Hi all,

I am making a user system where I can suspend users. I suspend a user by preventing their login however it does not terminate their current session. Rather than checking the user is still allowed to be login each time a page is loaded I was wondering if I could store the Session ID and then just delete/unregistered it server side.

Thanks

Kmaid

A session is just a container and a visitor can start a new one by just closing his browser and revisiting your site and logging in again. There is no point in trying to delete session data files, unset session variables, or delete session cookies to control what access a visitor has.

The best way is to check the database. This also results in the simplest code. Please read my posts in these two threads -

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,222819.0.html

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,221684.0.html

A session is just a container and a visitor can start a new one by just closing his browser and revisiting your site and logging in again. There is no point in trying to delete session data files, unset session variables, or delete session cookies to control what access a visitor has.

The best way is to check the database. This also results in the simplest code. Please read my posts in these two threads -

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,222819.0.html

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,221684.0.html

Hmmmm, I was under the impression that the user gets the ID to their session in a cookie and the data of the session is stored server side. What i want to do is unset the data serverside so the session becomes invalid and they have to login however their account being suspended they will not be able to.

can't be done tom.. the session id is chanaged everytime re-loggedin.. the only way your going to be able to do this is adding a field in your db banned with numeric 0 and 1... this way on login you could check to see if in the field has 1 or 0... then you can set 1 as been banned or 0 as not :)

I understand that however i was looking to avoid querying the database for user infomation every time they load a new page for somthing that wont happen that often. I guess i will have to query the DB everytime or set a session variable and check every 10 mins or somthing.

Thanks for the help guys. I am not going to mark the post as solved as i am still hopefull for some reason ^^.

hold on, but when you ban a user, you update the database right? so what you want to do is kick the user out of your site by session only one, because if they try to get back in (by reloading the web site for example), access would be prevented by user login. since you're using sessions, i assume you have a valid session check at the top of each page. so why not use session_destroy()  just like runnerjp suggested? that would deny access to one all pages with current sessionID, and the login would deny future access.

Because i dont query the database. I use the following code to just check that they had a session made and that they have the correct userlevel to use the page. From what i have read it is safe to do this because the user cant touch these variables unless i am greatly mistaken.

function libSecurity($RequiredUserLevel)   
{
session_start();
if(isset($_SESSION["UserName"]))
{
if ($_SESSION["Level"]>=$RequiredUserLevel)
{
return true;
}
}
if (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_REWRITE_URL']))
{
$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_X_REWRITE_URL'];
}
$_SESSION['RequestedURL']=$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
header("Location: Login.php");
exit(0);
return false;
}
[/Code]

Lol, there are many ways to intercept and edit session data, google burp suite and you will find an example of software to do so. Then all you need is someone elses valid session ID (obtained by XSS usually) and you can login to someones account, or in the case of your site, change your userlevel...

I know about session Hijacking but how can you edit session variables? Surely being able to do this makes the entire thing pointless as i would have to put their username and password into the session that can then be edited. I hope you do not mind Andy-H, I have attempted to add you onto msn in the hope i could talk to you about this further to gain a better understanding.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.