Sending Mail with ResourceSpace

I installed ResourceSpace DAM the other day, but I am having an issue having it send mail and the developer said it was a PHP question and sent me Here, which seems a bit useless to me (But I am not a programmer, so I can't say for sure).

We are running PHP 5.2.6 with the bundled GD (2.0.34 compatible) and MySQL 5.0.51b-community-nt on a Windows 2003 Server

Basically, when I try and send an email from the system (IE Email a new user their L/P when I set it up) I get this error:

C:\MYPATH\include\general.php line 925: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for email@domain.ca

The server it is installed on is NOT our mail server, and I would like all mail to use the mail server for obvious reasons.

I am trying to find out how/where to put my SMTP information so when I send emails it gets authenticated and send via our Mail Server.

Thanks in advance!

OK, if I follow the directions from the link that maGGot_H posted, I do not get anymore errors, but I also don't get the emails that are sent out. We don't have a Mail server setup on that server, nor do we want one.

The settings in the php.ini file do not allow for SMTP authentication, which our mail server requires.

I have been reading around, and from what I can find I am under the impression that PHP does not support SMTP Authentication by default. It was suggested to try XPertMailer (I found a post on another board), but this is useless to me because it comes with no instructions for installation!!!

I am trying to get this working with ResourceSpace, so the other posts I have found that say you have to add it or create your own script for this are also no use to me as I am not a programmer and do not know where and what to add!

I can figure out what to do if I have good instructions, but I am not finding them anywhere.

Can anybody offer assistance?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.