few questions about screen res

makka

hey there, well i just have a few questions ive picked up on since I've been going to collage...

my collage is still using the 800 by 600 res but at home I'm using 1280 by 1024 and a 800 by 600, i tend to notice most websites that are for large company's tend to scale up very nice but I always get 2 nice chunks on each side of back ground image or colour on my designs when I view them on 1280 by 1024 (there designed in 800 by 600)

so to put it bluntly what is the correct way of getting it looking good / working correctly

yeah i realised that whilst taking a bath just now, except since i use images in my CSS file eg header, footer's, main bg (but that would be on repeat id have to work out a number that is large enough for a pattern but the correct size to fit into both res's on repeat), fonts, buttons, ect... any ideas?

The only way to design something that will fit fully into both screens is to use elastic layouts (google it). If you choose a set width to a site, it's going to look strange in the browser that you didn't develop it for.

Why not check your server stats to see the breakdown of monitor sizes your users have. If it's grossly one-sided, you can forget the other group.

I don't design for 800x600 monitors anymore, because my user base is about 98% 1024x768. But that is where I live - it may be different in your area/country.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp              browser stats

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp            Screen res

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp                  Os

those three links should help you design to the largest target audience

i always use elstic layouts with a min width of 800 just in case but really 90 percent of my users are at 1024 or higher

The problem with browser stats like that is that they are world wide, and will only be pertinent to someone who is designing a site that will be used by people all over the world.

Much better to get your own stats from your own server, and find out what your personal target group is doing.

But in the absence of personal server stats, those are the next best thing.

yeah, thanks for those links, i saw those yesterday and i think ill end up going somewhere in the middle so it looks good on 1024 and still is readable with out scrolling across to much or at all on on 800'sill take a look into elstic layouts and see where i come up. if i come across any other questions ill ither bump this up or post a new thread...

ill still be watching this to see if anyone else and any other cool idea's, tips, or what ever thanks for the help so far :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.