[SOLVED] Changing datadir

GingerRobot

I'm trying to change my datadir on ubuntu so that i'm working with the same database if im in windows or ubuntu. I assume this is just a case of changing the datadir to the same folder (i'm using fs-driver to provide access to my home folder, which is a separate partition, in windows) in both windows and ubuntu.

I changed the datadir in windows first and moved the files with no problem. However, i can't get this to work in ubuntu. I changed the datadir in my /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to "/home/ben/MySQL/data" and also changed the owner of the folder : "sudo chown -R mysql:mysql ./MySQL/data". I've tried a fair few variations, without success.

Whenever i try to start the mysql server again, it fails. No error - not sure if there should be. I'm very inexperienced with this kind of thing, so i'm probably missing something simple. Any ideas anyone?

Edit: I also noticed in the my.cnf file, it metions altering /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld. I've no idea what this really is, but I did try modifying the lines that referenced the original data dir without success.

Ok, so i finally got somewhere with this. Turns out it was to do with apparmor. Though i'd tried changing the config file, I forgot/didn't realise I needed to restart the service too. Got some other issues now - perhaps it isn't going to be so easy to get this working. But never mind, i'm getting somewhere i think. I'll mark this solved.

Cheers for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.