dual monitor -> tri monitor

slushpuppie

my computer now has dual monitors from one video card (one vga and one dvi output). however i have an extra 20" monitor here at my desk that's doing nothing. would i be able to throw in a second video card and easily be able to do a 3 monitor setup? does windows have support for this? i'm running windows xp.

thanks.

You can mix video cards if you wish.  Like you could use a pci video card for 1 screen (or two in your case), then onboard or a 2nd video card for the third.  If they're nvidia cards you can use the nvidia control panel to set it all up. 

The optimal setup would dual SLI for which you do need matching video cards. 

do you mean check which card i can put in... as in it's physical shape? like pci? or does it need to be the same make/model as the other one? does it need to use the same video driver??

thanks.

I mean interface. It depends on what your motherboard can handle. If for example you only have one PCIE 16x slot, you can't have two cards with PCIE 16x interface, can you? ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.