[SOLVED] im getting a warning, kind of new to this stuff

Capslock

I edited some of the address to protect my project

I looked online for answers and all im seeing is "it's because of white spaces" I have checked both my php on the mother page, and on the page to include. I can't find any spaces inside or outside the php that shouldn't be there.

This is what im getting..

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/marauder/public_html/trial3/securetop.php:8 ) in /home/marauder/public_html/trial3/securetop.php on line 9

Can anyone help? (Had to add the space at the end of the first address, the 8 and ) where creating a smilie)

session_start(); should always be on the first line after <?php or on the second like after <?php

e.g.

<?php
session_start();
?>

This is a fallacy. session_start() can go anywhere, it just must be prior to output being sent.

There's a reason why it happened.

The HTTP protocol's basic layout is:

HEADERS HERE

CONTENT HERE

So if content has already been sent to the client, how is it possible to go back and send a header?  (session_start() sends a cookie header, since cookies are how clients are ID'd with sessions.)

It's not just some weird problem people get, like it sounds like y'all are making it out to be.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.