Currency Conversion?

woolyg

Hi,

I'm starting development on a site that will be taking orders internationally, and I'd like for customers to be able to see a set value of money (say, 100 USD) in their localised currency.

Has anyone else here ever done this?

I'm thinking of trying to capture a currency RSS feed every 6 hours, then bringing the XML data into a table, but this method will be verrrry time consuming, code-wise!

Has anyone had any experience in this? I'm posting as off-topic as it doesn't really qualify as PHP help, per se..

Cheers,

WoolyG

Yes I've done it once. Um, there is a free XML feed that you can get that is updated every... I don't know how often. :P

It's not very time consuming at all. Simply parse the XML feed, then convert.

Ah here it is, the European Central Bank has a free feed that you can use. The XML file is available here.

It's not every country, only about 15 or something. But it's got the major ones. If you want, I think you can pay for one over at UCC.

Now, take a look at this article, and take note of the link down the bottom. Hopefully you can figure it out from that. :)

This is kind of random, and won't help you much, but if I were you, I would make sure the value hasn't changed by a certain percent since the last change (like 10% or something).  I'm paranoid, and knowing my luck, the site doing the feed would malfunction and say a USD is 0 Euros or something.  lol

Valid point Corbin!

I saw from the outset that the currency conversions are not exact (it's an XML feed from a european bank and I'm trying to convert NZD into USD, so it's converting it to EUR in between there, hence a small margin of error), but all I wanted to do was to give prospective customers an idea of what the cost would be in their currency.

I'll be putting a note on the page that it's not absolutely exact, and the actual cost might fluctuate depending on currency changes in the previous 24 hours.

But all in all, a SWEET resource.

Cheers,

WoolyG

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.