Simple rewrite problem

Stooney

I'm not very experience with mod_rewrite.  The following bit works fine on my dev server, but when used on my 1and1.com shared host account, I get Error 500 - Internal server error.  That problem is with the RewriteRule, as anything that is indeed a file (such as http://site.com/index.php?d=home) works fine.

I won't lie, the RewriteRule is basically copy pasted.  I will be looking into mod_rewrite a lot more in depth, but for now I'm just looking for a quick fix to get a live site running.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?d=$1 [L,QSA]

Yes it's enabled.  After a couple emails back and fourth with 1and1 here's what they said:

As we checked your code we found out that the code you used in your

.htaccess is incorrect.

in response to this:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?d=$1 [L,QSA]

Try a super simple rewrite.

Something like:

RewriteRule somepage\.html someotherpage.html

And see if it works.

If it does, try adding the rewrite cond with it.  If the rewrite cond makes it fail, that's it.  If not, it's the RR.  Can't just comment out the RR because that would cause an infinite loop.

Alright, so I did what you said.  I changed my .htaccess (shown below).  It works on my dev server, but the live server (hosted by 1and1) gives a page not found error when attempting site.com/somepage.html

.htaccess

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule somepage\.html someotherpage.html

So I'm guessing that would mean mod_rewrite is actually disabled?  They told me it's enabled and I can use it as I wish.

That could just mean that someotherpage.html doesn't exist.

If mod rewrite weren't enabled, you would be getting a 500 error.

Try changing your rewrite to:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteRule ^(.*) /index.php?d=$1 [L,QSA]

I made sure someotherpage.html did exist, I made it to test with.  The following .htaccess file gives me a 500 error:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php?d=$1 [L,QSA] 

I might just host my own site or get a different host.  I don't know what else I can change here, it works fine on my home server just not on live.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.