Ethernet Switch and Wireless Internet

Lamez

I have wireless internet at my house. I decided I wanted to my Xbox online. I went out and bought a ethernet switch, but I am boggled on how it works.

Here is what I am trying to do.

Bridge my wireless connection to ethernet port. Then plug the ethernet cable from the ethernet port to the switch, then run another cable to the xbox. Well I am not able to connect to the internet with my xbox, am I doing it wrong?

I use to be able to take a ethernet cable, that is bridge to my wireless connection, to my xbox and it would work wonderfully. The only reason I bought a switch, is so I can view the website hosted on the xbox.

Any Help?

It's more secure... but I mean, better security for a switch comes into play because it doesn't echo out packets to all the ports.  But we're talking about an xbox and a personal computer at home...

but it is technically harder to setup.  He has to set his computer up as the gateway and have at least 2 network adapters, 1 for the internet and one for the switch.  Also with a switch, you can really only have one device using the internet at a time, because all of the devices share the same IP address.  You would have to basically get your ISP to give you multiple IP addresses and go from there. 

A router acts as the gateway, routing packets to multiple devices even with just one IP address.  Not to mention, most routers these days already have a switch built-in. 

Bottom line is that if you're wanting to make a local area network (lan) ONLY, go for a switch.  Example is if you want to give printer access to multiple computers.  You can also use a hub for this.  But if you're wanting multiple devices to independently access a wide area network (wan) like the internet, go for a router.     

"It's more secure... but I mean, better security for a switch comes into play because it doesn't echo out packets to all the ports.  But we're talking about an xbox and a personal computer at home..."

So routers transmit each WAN packet to each LAN IP?  Seriously?  Or did I misread that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.