[SOLVED] Syntax errors - completely confused...

S_M_E

I know next to nothing about PHP and I have two pages that are giving me fits. They work on newer PHP5 but they display blank, with errors in the log, on PHP4. I assume they've changed the syntax but I'm completely lost.

[Wed Nov 19 09:56:20 2008] [error] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected ',', expecting '(' in /hsphere/local/home/etc/etc.php on line 8

Here is line 8:               

if(mail(MainConfig::$mail, "Contact Us","$_POST[comments]"))

Another page has the same error in the log on a different line:

$file = fopen(MainConfig::$filename, "r");

If that's not enough information I can include more of the code, I just thought I'd keep this post small, if possible.

It appears that it doesn't like "(MainConfig::$etc, " on either line but I have no idea how to fix it so it'll work with older PHP and newer PHP. I'd appreciate any help.

TIA...

Actually, the first one is part of a contact form, the second one takes names from a text file and displays them on the page.

If you need more of the code because my post didn't make sense:

<?php

$email_sent = 0;

if(isset($_POST["contact"])){

require("./config.php");

if(mail(MainConfig::$mail, "Contact Us","$_POST[comments]"))

$email_sent = 1;

}

?>

The second one:

<?php

include("./config.php");

$file = fopen(MainConfig::$filename, "r");

if($file){

while($line = fgets($file)){

?>

<h3><?php echo "$line"; ?></h3>

<?php         

}

}

?>

Hope that makes more sense but I'm still lost.  :P

Seems to be some kind of static registry class. I'm not sure PHP4's object model has static classes implemented, but from skimming through manual it doesn't seem so. In such case this code would require some serious work to port it to PHP4

In such case this code would require some serious work to port it to PHP4

That's what I was afraid of. I doubt the hosting company will upgrade to PHP5 anytime soon either...

PHP4's end of life support was December '07.  Its object model is poorly implemented and lacking in features of most advanced OOP languages.  It also lacks several new functions and code revisions.  No hosting company should still be using PHP4.  Switch companies or write them a nice big e-mail explaining why they should use PHP5.

Upgrade your hosting company then. If they still don't have PHP5 they're like in stone age of hosting companies.

On the other hand, maybe they do? Better check it. Some hosting companies have actually two versions of PHP running at one time, and to use PHP5 you have to save your files as *.php5

On the third hand: I might be wrong.

Upgrade your hosting company then. If they still don't have PHP5 they're like in stone age of hosting companies.

On the other hand, maybe they do? Better check it. Some hosting companies have actually two versions of PHP running at one time, and to use PHP5 you have to save your files as *.php5

On the third hand: I might be wrong.

You have three hands?  Lucky. :(

MainConfig: << is this part off a class.......

Yes, both pages read from config.php to get the name of the file to read from and to get the email address to use for the contact form:

<?php

// SET THE CONTACT US EMAIL IN THIS LINE

MainConfig::set_email("info@some.addy");

//SET THE DISPLAY TXT FILE PATH IN THIS LINE

MainConfig::set_display("text.txt");

class MainConfig{

static $mail = "";

static $filename = "";

static function set_email($email){

self::$mail = $email;

}

static function set_display($filename){

self::$filename = $filename;

}

}

?>

That class is absolutely useless.  Why not just use a regular variable? o_O

I didn't write it, I'm just trying to fix it so it'll work. However, it works fine with PHP5 :D

(EDIT)

FYI:

Apache/1.3.39 (Unix) PHP/4.4.7 mod_throttle/3.1.2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_psoft_traffic/0.2 mod_ssl/2.8.29 OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1

That's all of the php, the rest is just html.

I talked to the hosting company and they don't want to upgrade to php5 becasue some customers have code they think will break and they are worried that their control panel will break with php5 too. They're looking at either adding php5, as mchl suggesting they could, or moving my site to a different server. Either will work for me, I just want the code to work...

Thanks guys...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.